Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small scale application of structural cross sections

1. Feb 24, 2015 #1
    I am working on fixing a heavy walnut cedar chest lid that has bowed convexly from the chest. It is about 1/4" high in the center of a 24" deep lid. The lid is ~2' x 5'. It is made from 3/4" walnut with 3/4" x 3" ribbing on the top.

I thought that adding in some C-channel or square tubing would be the easiest way to straighten the depth of the lid. Unfortunately I am a chemical engineer and do not have the references to calculate which material and which cross section would be the most resistant to mild flexing. I also have a thickness restriction of 3/8" (1/2" is the absolute limit) in order to properly hide the material underneath wooden decoration. The width can be as wide as 1.5". but I was thinking that 2 -3/4" pieces may provide more bend resistance.

I have found various sites supplying different configurations of cross section but the small height and the short length (24") have restricted my options. I think a 2000 or 7000 grade of aluminum would be a good fit, but they only seem to exist in bar form and not a structural cross section. Would stainless steel or 6061 aluminum be strong enough? or should I go for the bars?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2015 #2
    What is needed for stiffness is to maximize the EI product, the product of Young's modulus and area moment of inertia. Thus, steel will be a better choice than aluminum because of a much higher Young's modulus.

Your height constraints make it very difficult to get much improvement in I which is usually done by going to taller sections. So, bars look like your best bet. Use the thickest bars that will fit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook