Am I breathing molecules from all before me?

• Thread starter distar97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecules
In summary: Anyway, the article I linked explains that while it's technically correct to say you are breathing a molecule of oxygen that was breathed by FFJ, it's more accurate to say you are breathing an oxygen molecule, half of which was breathed by FFJ.
distar97
When a person breaths air, how many molecules were used in some form by people today and those before us?

The question becomes complex if you consider carbon dioxide is known to be drawn in by plants, trees and such. But could the question be simplified by asking how long does it take for a given liter of air to diffuse to every other liter of air in the atmosphere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Am I breathing molecules from all before me?

I agree, comparing atoms makes more sense. I read the Marquette article. I tend to agree with Jeffrey Scott Nutall's reply that suggest that atoms used by a particular person are very likely to be used by any other person. If you consider how many atoms are in each liter of a person's breath and compare that to the number of liters of air available, I tend to believe the number of atoms can easily populate every liter of air given time to diffuse.

If this is true, the next question is how long does it take to get at least one atom from a liter of exhaled air to every liter in the atmosphere. We know that you can smell a drop of something like ethyl mercaptan across a room even if the room air seemingly not in motion. It may be faster than one would think.

I'm sure some here have looked at this in terms of environmental studies.

distar97 said:
Re: Am I breathing molecules from all before me?

I agree, comparing atoms makes more sense. I read the Marquette article. I tend to agree with Jeffrey Scott Nutall's reply that suggest that atoms used by a particular person are very likely to be used by any other person. If you consider how many atoms are in each liter of a person's breath and compare that to the number of liters of air available, I tend to believe the number of atoms can easily populate every liter of air given time to diffuse.

If this is true, the next question is how long does it take to get at least one atom from a liter of exhaled air to every liter in the atmosphere. We know that you can smell a drop of something like ethyl mercaptan across a room even if the room air seemingly not in motion. It may be faster than one would think.

I'm sure some here have looked at this in terms of environmental studies.

The atmosphere consists mostly of molecular nitrogen, [itex] N_{2}[/itex], and molecular oxygen, [itex] O_{2}[/itex] with smaller amounts of carbon dioxide and water vapor. There are no significant numbers of free inert atoms in the atmosphere. However, if you are tracing a particular atom over time, it may have had more than one molecular "home" since it arrived on the proto-earth (or rarely on the fully formed earth), due to chemical interactions. However intact atoms are nearly always found bound in molecules except for the very rare inert gases such as argon, neon and xenon.

Last edited:
Yuck. I just breathed an atom of oxygen that was breathed by Florence Foster Jenkins.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Yuck. I just breathed an atom of oxygen that was breathed by Florence Foster Jenkins.

No. You breathed a molecule of oxygen that was breathed by FFJ, or you breathed an oxygen molecule, half of which was breathed by FFJ.

Jimmy Snyder said:

Naw you just recycled it. Sort of like a long flight on an older plane that recirculates the air.

Reply to SW VandeCarr...

While interesting and certainly true, I'm ignoring whether it's a molecule or atom. A molecule
with at least one atom previously breathed would qualify.

I found something that goes into detail about my question nicely, and with lots of numbers.
http://www.vendian.org/envelope/dir2/breath.html

It appears everyone reading this post is breathing a few of my atoms right now.

I guess they're not really "mine" though.

DennisH

Jimmy Snyder said:

You should worry. I just breathed a molecule of methane that came out of a cow's rectum.

Ken Natton said:
You should worry. I just breathed a molecule of methane that came out of a cow's rectum.

And it probably had a bunch of bacteria on it. I hope you don't get sick.

the craziest thing is that we're all Ships of Theseus in a way

at least our skin is, definitely

leroyjenkens said:
And it probably had a bunch of bacteria on it. I hope you don't get sick.

A bunch of bacteria on a molecule? Surely you're joking (as was said to Dr. Feynman, who wasn't).

Last edited:

1. How do I know if I am breathing molecules from all before me?

The simple answer is yes, you are breathing molecules from all before you. The air we breathe is constantly moving and mixing, meaning that molecules from all over the world are present in the air we inhale.

2. Can I breathe in molecules from ancient times?

Technically, yes, it is possible to breathe in molecules from ancient times. However, the likelihood of this happening is very low, as most ancient molecules have likely been broken down or dispersed over time.

3. Are there any specific molecules that have been inhaled by every human being?

It is difficult to determine specific molecules that have been inhaled by every human being, as the composition of the air is constantly changing. However, molecules such as oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide are present in the air and are necessary for human survival.

4. Can breathing in molecules from all before me have any health effects?

The molecules we inhale from all before us are typically harmless and do not have any negative health effects. However, there are some instances where harmful pollutants or toxins may be present in the air, which can have negative impacts on our health.

5. Is it possible to trace the origin of the molecules I am breathing in?

While it is not possible to trace the origin of every molecule we breathe in, scientists can use techniques such as isotope analysis to trace the origin of certain molecules in the air. This can provide insight into the movement and mixing of molecules in the atmosphere.