Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I the only one that does this?

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    When I get an answer in my calculator, I write down all of the decimal places until I get to one that is below 5 because I'm too lazy/indecisive to actually pick a place to round and do it.

I'm talking 6 or 7 places sometimes.

I can't be the only one?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2
    Yes, You are some kind of weirdo.:tongue2:
    Anything more than two decimals is usually lying.

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Concurrence. Weirdo. :biggrin:

5. Oct 10, 2011 #4
    Not only do I do that, if the 5 comes too soon (within 5-8 digits), I will continue on to the next 5. No idea why I do this. Intermediate values, oh wow, I save 20 places sometimes...

6. Oct 10, 2011 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is merely a quirk, Quark.

7. Oct 10, 2011 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I always seek the double 3's.

8. Oct 10, 2011 #7

Maroc

Gold Member

Anything more than 2 decimals is a no go in my books :P

9. Oct 10, 2011 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I take off points for insignificant digits.

10. Oct 10, 2011 #9
    There are no insignificant digits in my math. Usually it's pure until the answer pops out in terms of pi. Then I can take the decimal place as far as I like. This isn't physics.

Usually I look for a 0, 1, or 9. Those are my happy number rounding places.

11. Oct 10, 2011 #10
    As a rule of the thumb, I usually use as many significant digits as the question has.

12. Oct 10, 2011 #11

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If it's the final answer to a question, it should be rounded to whatever number of sig figs is appropriate for the initial input numbers.

If it's an intermediate answer, it should stay in your calculator (that's what your calculator's memory is for) and not be written down at all, unless your question asks you to show that answer also. In that case you should round off the written version appropriately, but use the unrounded version in the calculator for further calculations.

13. Oct 10, 2011 #12

Dembadon

Gold Member

I round [itex]e[/itex] to 3. Is that bad?

14. Oct 10, 2011 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not as bad as rounding it to 4.

15. Oct 10, 2011 #14
    No joke, my physics professor usually uses 10 for g when working examples.

16. Oct 10, 2011 #15

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Gentlemen!! We have a winnar!

17. Oct 10, 2011 #16

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

As an engineer, I have too many assumed values in my calcs for sig figs to matter.

18. Oct 10, 2011 #17

Pythagorean

Gold Member

And this is basically how I stopped the habit in my undergrad

19. Oct 10, 2011 #18
    See, my problems are exact. It's not until the final calculation that things get decimal-ized.

20. Oct 10, 2011 #19
    I don't do it for final answers, because then its just wrong, its assuming a known value for values that aren't known (or equivalently, assuming that all decimal places after the given measurement are zeros)

You will find it surprising how many students at the college level don't know the reasoning behind significant figures and think that more decimal places means a more accurate answer.

1.3 meters is not 1.30 meters, it means we stopped measuring after a tenth of a meter.

I never learned that concept in school when I learned about significant figures. It only came to me when actually doing lab work.

21. Oct 10, 2011 #20
    I did learn that. My most confusing times currently are when I get to the end of a probability question and the final move turns out an enormous fraction which practically requires a decimal conversion to be useful comparatively. How far do I take it? As far as I like is my guess. So, that's to a 0, 1, or 9.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook