Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I the only one who thinks crocs are ugly?

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    I don't understand, they absolutely ugly. Why do people wear them? They are one of the most ugliest shoewear, even barefeet looks better. I mean it's okay for the typical balding middle age men wearing them, but I find it disgusting on women.

what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2
    I think they're especially bad with socks.

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alive or dead?

5. Aug 31, 2011 #4
    I prefer a foot be covered by any material rather than see someone's bare feet. I've seen some pretty ugly bare feet in my days. :yuck:

6. Aug 31, 2011 #5

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

:eek:

7. Aug 31, 2011 #6

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think crocs are like the footwear equivalent of sweatpants in Seinfeld (from the episode "The Pilot"):

..... "Again with the sweatpants?"
    ..... "What? I'm comfortable."
    ..... "You know the message you're sending out to the world with these sweatpants? You're telling the world, 'I give up. I can't compete in normal society. I'm miserable, so I might as well be comfortable.'"
    - Jerry and George, in "The Pilot"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Hbu4Z4pGI

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  8. Aug 31, 2011 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Exactly.

However, crocs should be illegal and punishable by the death penalty or at least 15 years and long terms in a mental institution.

9. Aug 31, 2011 #8
    I think crocs are pretty attractive. I love a good-looking woman in crocs.

10. Aug 31, 2011 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I also love a good-looking woman in crocs/sandals and socks/wearing a watermelon on their foot.

11. Aug 31, 2011 #10
    "When I see people wearing Crocs, I know immediately that we have nothing in common, and that we could never be friends or have any meaningful kind of relationship. They come in every color imaginable yet look bad with every other article of clothing ever created. The only thing that goes with Crocs is social ostracism."

12. Aug 31, 2011 #11
    It happens that I have a pair of crocs and though I rarely wear them, when I do I wear socks. I can't imagine wearing any kind of shoe without socks. Anyway, my wife got them for me, so it may be that they make me unattractive to women.

13. Aug 31, 2011 #12

Dembadon

Gold Member

I don't notice them anymore. In fact, I'd say it has been a good 4-5 years since I've seen them being worn by a large enough percentage of the population to be noticeable. I'll have to keep an eye out for them tomorrow.

I'm not a fan and have never owned a pair. They remind me of chef's shoes.

14. Aug 31, 2011 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I thought you hated crocodiles.

15. Aug 31, 2011 #14

turbo

Gold Member

If I were to see Crocs worn by a stunner, I think I could look past the crocs. I know 2 very large women that wear crocs, and once you combine crocs, large stretch-pants/sweats and cankles, it's hard to see crocs in a good light. Still, if Giselle stopped to ask for directions and was wearing crocs, I don't think I would hold it against her.

16. Sep 1, 2011 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

EW wait a minute, people wear them without socks!??!?! GROSS!!!

17. Sep 1, 2011 #16
    The new trend around here is boots. Uggs are the "it" brand and I think they are Uggly. The fact that women wear them with just about anything is part of the problem. Otherwise the boot phenomenon is not so bad, particularly all the women in variations of knee high boots. I think Nancy Sinatra left an impression.

18. Sep 1, 2011 #17
    I too thought the thread title was referring to a particular ancient reptile not exactly known for its attractiveness. As an item of footwear it is not a term I have come across before, I think I am gathering that it is just the US term for what we Brits would call sandals. The term might differ, but the fundamental fashion dilemma is the same; socks or no socks, with people in both camps as to which is acceptable and which is not, and a fair number in the camp that says that they are a fundamental fashion mistake regardless of socks.

There was an occasion when I was working in Sweden in the mid 1990s and there was a particularly rum local night club that my colleagues and I tended to go to where the fashion was for women to wear perfectly glamorous outfits of the kind you would expect attractive young women to wear to a nightclub, but to compliment them with what were, essentially, pit boots. The result was incongruous to say the least, but I suppose that is exactly what it was meant to be. It reminded me, for any fellow Brits here, of a sketch that Morecambe and Wise did with Shirley Bassey where, while glamorously dressed as she belted out one of her standards, she loses one of her shoes to a set malfunction, and, as she continues to sing, Morecambe replaces it with one of his own boots. The first time you see it, the sketch is the kind of funny that leaves you with aching sides. I don’t think the Swedish women meant it to be funny. If it was meant to be sexy, then all I can say is that it was a mighty strange kind of sexy.

19. Sep 1, 2011 #18
    Crocs are a particular brand of sandal that are fairly ugly looking. I am surprised that no one has even posted a picture of them yet.
    [PLAIN]http://media.thenewschronicle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/croc-shoes.jpg [Broken]
    I've actually never noticed the open toe variety in that picture before. The closed toe version are their signature design of course.

I actually think women in dresses wearing Doc Martins is rather sexy. Uggs are a rather different story though, in my opinion. I think that I just don't like the style that much. In case you have not seen them here is a pic and good examples of women wearing them with anything...
    [URL]http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Celebs---Uggs-ugg-boots-266152_301_329.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  20. Sep 1, 2011 #19

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps more telling pictures of Crocs

[PLAIN]http://s3.nextround.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mancrocs.jpg [Broken]

[PLAIN]http://stuffflypeoplelike.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/crocks.jpg [Broken]

[URL]http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/409.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aGTzPlp_Iys/SDTOBTM070I/AAAAAAAAABg/oFTUj1hKNEs/s1600/CrocsDM2607_468x573.jpg[/URL]

I almost forgot about the Bush association. Egh <shudder>.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  21. Sep 1, 2011 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At least he's wearing formal black crocs, but it definitely opens up the door for the "Croc of ...." jokes.

But lavender crocs?! For a guy?!

Crocs usually work best when for people that go to Walmart in the middle of the night in their pajamas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook