Old color photography from Russia and early USA

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hepth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Color Photos
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 5K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
458
Reaction score
40
Have you guys seen this:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

Very cool.

Also:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-from-1939-1943/2363/

If it hasn't been posted yet.

Anyone else know of any really cool old color photos? (The russian ones used 3 B&W filtered cameras, neat tech)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The tech is really cool, isn't it? I especially enjoyed the Russian photos.
 
Hepth said:
Have you guys seen this:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

Very cool.

Also:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-from-1939-1943/2363/

If it hasn't been posted yet.

Anyone else know of any really cool old color photos? (The russian ones used 3 B&W filtered cameras, neat tech)

Fantastic! thanks for the links.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably these must have been projected to view?
The 3color filter technology hasn't really changed today - but there would have been no way of printing in color then.
 
Hepth said:
Have you guys seen this:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

Very cool.

Also:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-from-1939-1943/2363/

If it hasn't been posted yet.

Anyone else know of any really cool old color photos? (The russian ones used 3 B&W filtered cameras, neat tech)

I can't remember for sure, but I believe it was Borek about a year ago that introduced us to these images.

search search search

Yup. It was https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2438986&postcount=3825" , in the most cultured of threads.

:smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and now tineye has 64 results on that particular picture in 1.423 seconds that is.
 
Hepth said:
Have you guys seen this:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/russia_in_color_a_century_ago.html

Very cool.
Trivia question: Which of the 34 pictures in the Russian collection (link in quote) has the strongest connection to an algorithm, and why?
 
Gokul43201 said:
Trivia question: Which of the 34 pictures in the Russian collection (link in quote) has the strongest connection to an algorithm, and why?

I'd be interested to know the answer.


I was amazed when Borek first showed these- still am!
 
fuzzyfelt said:
I'd be interested to know the answer.
The answer I was looking for is picture 7/8, of the Khan of the Russian protectorate of Khorezm. For most of the 1st millenium AD, Khorezm (then known as Khwarizm), was the seat of a Persian kingdom, and the birthplace of one Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi (Al-Khwarizmi, for short), the mathematician who is credited with inventing algebra. In fact, the word 'algebra' is derived from Al-Khwarizmi's treatise, titled Kitab al jabr w al muqabala (commonly abbreviated as Al Jabr). And the word 'algorithm' is named after Al-Khwarizmi himself, via the Latin version of his name, Algoritmi.
 
Gokul43201 said:
The answer I was looking for is picture 7/8, of the Khan of the Russian protectorate of Khorezm. For most of the 1st millenium AD, Khorezm (then known as Khwarizm), was the seat of a Persian kingdom, and the birthplace of one Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi (Al-Khwarizmi, for short), the mathematician who is credited with inventing algebra. In fact, the word 'algebra' is derived from Al-Khwarizmi's treatise, titled Kitab al jabr w al muqabala (commonly abbreviated as Al Jabr). And the word 'algorithm' is named after Al-Khwarizmi himself, via the Latin version of his name, Algoritmi.

You sure? I think Al Gore invented the algorithm.
 
lisab said:
You sure? I think Al Gore invented the algorithm.
Brilliant! I like it. :biggrin:
 
Gokul43201 said:
The answer I was looking for is picture 7/8, of the Khan of the Russian protectorate of Khorezm. For most of the 1st millenium AD, Khorezm (then known as Khwarizm), was the seat of a Persian kingdom, and the birthplace of one Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi (Al-Khwarizmi, for short), the mathematician who is credited with inventing algebra. In fact, the word 'algebra' is derived from Al-Khwarizmi's treatise, titled Kitab al jabr w al muqabala (commonly abbreviated as Al Jabr). And the word 'algorithm' is named after Al-Khwarizmi himself, via the Latin version of his name, Algoritmi.

Fascinating! Thanks!