Amazon.com no longer to display customer's product photos

In summary, Amazon.com (USA) is quietly deleting all customer contributed product photos from its website. The deletion is scheduled to be complete by Aug. 31. If you browse the site you'll notice the option to upload customer images is gone from most of the pages.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Amazon.com (USA) is quietly deleting all customer contributed product photos from its website. The deletion is scheduled to be complete by Aug. 31. If you browse the site you'll notice the option to upload customer images is gone from most of the pages. (Meanwhile, Amazon has announced that sellers of products are permitted to submit even more photos.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why?

A message from Amazon tech support being quoted on discussion boards on the Amazon website is:

Further to your inquiry, on July 15, 2013, we discontinued the customer-uploaded image feature. Customer images will no longer show on Amazon product pages. This isn't a decision we came to lightly. While customer-uploaded images has a small, dedicated group of active users, it hasn't been broadly embraced by our customers. Shutting down this feature will allow us to focus on building a better overall Amazon experience for you.

If you have uploaded images to a product page in the past, they will continue to be available until August 31, 2013 for you to view from your customer gallery:

Is that the real reason? I don't know.

dipole said:
Why?

I don't know why but I'll bet dollars to donuts that is has NOTHING to do with "... building a better overall Amazon experience for you."

Probably some sort of legal liability thing. User uploads might show products being used improperly, something like that.

Well, I don't think it's that big of a deal to be honest. If you want to be mad at Amazon, you can easily find much more questionable choices they've made than this.

Stephen Tashi said:
A message from Amazon tech support being quoted on discussion boards on the Amazon website is:
Is that the real reason? I don't know.
The customer uploaded images have been great, IMO, they are widespread and have helped me to understand the products, something the manufacturer failed to do. I'm sure it's some legal liability thing that Amazon doesn't want to deal with, I can't blame them, but it will make online purchasing decisions on high end products much more difficult. I have been convinced to buy expensive products based on the additional customer photos. If there aren't sufficient product photos, I'll buy at a retail outlet. Not taking chances that a product isn't what I expected. Books, meh, don't need pictures unless it's a book where the pictures in the book are of importance.

Last edited:

1. Why is Amazon.com no longer displaying customer's product photos?

Amazon.com has decided to stop displaying customer's product photos in order to improve the overall user experience on the website. This decision was made after careful consideration of customer feedback and data analysis.

2. Will I still be able to see product photos on Amazon.com?

Yes, you will still be able to see product photos on Amazon.com. However, the photos displayed will now be professional images provided by the seller or manufacturer.

3. How will this change affect my online shopping experience?

This change is expected to have a positive impact on your online shopping experience. By removing customer photos, Amazon.com aims to provide users with more accurate and high-quality product images, which will help them make more informed purchasing decisions.

4. Can I still leave a review with a photo of the product I purchased?

Yes, you can still leave a review with a photo of the product you purchased. However, the photo will not be displayed on the product page. It will only be visible in the review section.

5. Are there any plans to bring back customer photos in the future?

Amazon.com has not made any official statements about bringing back customer photos in the future. However, they are constantly evaluating and improving their website, so it is possible that this feature may be revisited in the future.