Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amazon.com no longer to display customer's product photos

1. Jul 18, 2013 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Amazon.com (USA) is quietly deleting all customer contributed product photos from its website. The deletion is scheduled to be complete by Aug. 31. If you browse the site you'll notice the option to upload customer images is gone from most of the pages. (Meanwhile, Amazon has announced that sellers of products are permitted to submit even more photos.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2013 #2
    Why?

4. Jul 19, 2013 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

A message from Amazon tech support being quoted on discussion boards on the Amazon website is:

Is that the real reason? I don't know.

5. Jul 19, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know why but I'll bet dollars to donuts that is has NOTHING to do with "... building a better overall Amazon experience for you."

Probably some sort of legal liability thing. User uploads might show products being used improperly, something like that.

6. Jul 22, 2013 #5
    Well, I don't think it's that big of a deal to be honest. If you want to be mad at Amazon, you can easily find much more questionable choices they've made than this.

7. Jul 22, 2013 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The customer uploaded images have been great, IMO, they are widespread and have helped me to understand the products, something the manufacturer failed to do. I'm sure it's some legal liability thing that Amazon doesn't want to deal with, I can't blame them, but it will make online purchasing decisions on high end products much more difficult. I have been convinced to buy expensive products based on the additional customer photos. If there aren't sufficient product photos, I'll buy at a retail outlet. Not taking chances that a product isn't what I expected. Books, meh, don't need pictures unless it's a book where the pictures in the book are of importance.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook