Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amount of dark Energy at different times

1. Dec 17, 2015 #1
    I am wondering what the formula would be for the amount of Dark Energy in the observable universe would be for different time (t). (according to best current theory/data)

Would it be this directly proportional to volume?
    Dark energy (t) = Dark energy (present time)/ (scale factor (t)3)

If so, 6GY ago scale factor = 1.618 therefore Dark Energy would be about 1/4 the current amount.

I could be way off as I am just starting on this stuff.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2015 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

I don't think that the amount of dark energy is a useful quantity (total energy is not well-defined in General Relativity). The density, however, is useful, and can be thought of as a constant (if it does change over time, those changes haven't yet been detected).

4. Dec 17, 2015 #3

Jorrie

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apart from what Chalnoth said about the usefulness of total energy, the radius of the observable universe does not scale directly with scale factor a. You mentioned a=1.618, which is in the future, so I guess you intended to say a=0.618, which correlates with 6 Gy ago.
    The radius of the observable universe was then about half of what it is today ( D_particle ~ 23 Gly then, according to LightCone 7) and the total vacuum energy in the observable universe about one eighth of today (at constant density).

5. Dec 18, 2015 #4
    Jorrie: That clarifies what I was looking to understand. I also was not using scale factor term correctly.
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook