Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplitude damping with harmonic oscillators

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    Hi

I am new to this community, so dont beat me up too hard :).

I have a question about the Hamiltonian when it will simulate the principal system as a harmonic oscillator interacting with the environment which is also an harmonic oscillator (page 291 in "Quantum computation and Quantum information" Nielsen, Chuang).
    Is the communtator [a,b] = 0 ? It seems to me that the operators can't affect each other but I am not sure, should there be a tensor between "a" and "b" in the Hamiltonian?
    Do you have any source to back up your statements?

Sincerely
    Axel

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2
    Okay, I don't have Nielson and Chuang, so I'm not certain what you're talking about, but by conventional notation, it seems that [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are annihilation operators acting on the system and the environment respectively.

If that is so, then the [tex][a,b] = 0[/tex] because they act on different Hilbert space. [tex]a[/tex] is an operator in the system Hilbert space; [tex]b[/tex] is an operator in the environment Hilbert space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook