An automorphism in a Banach space

In summary: So I think it's a mistake but I'm not sure.In summary, the conversation revolves around proving that if A is a continuous automorphism on a complete normed vector space E, and f is a Lipschitz application with a constant k that is less than the inverse of the norm of A, then f + A will be an automorphism. The conversation also touches on the necessary conditions for f + A to be an automorphism, including f being linear and bijective. Overall, the conversation is unclear and requires further clarification.
Calabi
Hello I've got a problem : let be a normed vectorial space E, N and A an continue automorphism.
I suppose E is complete. So by the banach theorem
$$A^{−1}$$
is continue.
So now let be f a k lipshitz application with
$$k<\frac{1}{||A^{−1}||}$$.
I'd like to show that f + A is an homomorphism.
I don't even know how to start.

Have you got any idea please?

Thank you in advance and have a nice afternoon:oldbiggrin:.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand.
If f is a Lipschitz function (from E to E), f + A will be continuous, and f + A will also be linear if f is linear.

What am I missing?

Oh no. Change homomorphisme in automorphism.
And I never say that f is linear.

Calabi said:
Ok, you changed the question.

Anyway, an automorphism on the Banach space E would be a bounded linear invertible operator. A necessary condition for f + A to be an automorphism is f being linear.

EDIT: if A is an automorphism of a Banach space, and B is a linear operator on that space satisfying ##\|A-B\|<\frac{1}{\|A^{−1}\|}##, then B is invertible too.
That would imply that in your case f + A will be an automorphism if f is linear.

Last edited:
Calabi said:
Like Samy_A said, linearity is necessary, unless you consider some structure other than the vector space/linear structure on your space, which does not seem to be what you are doing. EDIT basically, automorphisms of a space are maps (from the space to itself here) that respect/preserve the structure of the space. A Banach space is by definition a linear/vector space, so automorphisms are maps that must preserve this structure.

Calabi said:
I think it may be that the OP is trying to merely prove that ##A + f## is invertible, not that it is an automorphism. For this, it is indeed not needed that ##f## is linear.

Krylov said:
I think it may be that the OP is trying to merely prove that ##A + f## is invertible, not that it is an automorphism. For this, it is indeed not needed that ##f## is linear.
I tried to mimic the proof for the basic linear case: if ##T## is a linear operator satisfying ##\|T\|<1##, then ##I-T## is invertible.
So the hypothesis is: If ##f## is a Lipschitz function satisfying ##\forall x,y: \ \|f(x)-f(y)\|<=k\|x-y\|##, with ##k<1##, then ##I-f## is invertible.
In the linear case one constructs the inverse with the series ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty T^n(x)##, that obviously converges for linear T.
Does the similar series for the Lipschitz function, ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty f^n(x)##, also converge? It does if ##f(0)=0##, but not in general.

Last edited:
Hello guys and girls and sorry for the time of answer.

Samy_A said:
: if TT is a linear operator satisfying ∥T∥<1\|T\|

Is it always true please?

Calabi said:
Is it always true please?
What is true is that if ##T## is a linear operator on a Banach space satisfying ##\|T\|<1##, then ##I-T## is invertible.
(A specific case of a more general property of unital Banach algebras.)

Last edited:
Which property do you refere please?

Forget what I said : in a Banch space the absolute convegrence make the convergence, so let be a Banach algebra : let be x with $$||x||< 1$$, as $$\Sigma ||x||^{n}$$ converge the $$\sigma x^{n}$$ converge,
and $$(x - Id)$$ is invertible his inverse is $$\Sigma x^{n}$$.

Since E is a banach space so all all the continious endomorphisme are a Banach algebra.

But $$k < \frac{1}{||A||^{-1}}$$. We could have $$k \ge 1$$.

It's not taht esay.

Calabi said:
But $$k < \frac{1}{||A||^{-1}}$$. We could have $$k \ge 1$$.
If ##T## is a linear operator on a Banach space satisfying ##\|T\|<1##, then ##I-T## is invertible.
You can deduce from this (see it as an exercise):
if A is an automorphism of a Banach space, and B is a linear operator on that space satisfying ##\|A-B\|<\frac{1}{\|A^{−1}\|}##, then B is invertible too.
Calabi said:
It's not taht esay.
It would be easier if you stated clearly what you want to prove. For now we are just trying to guess what you really mean. Strictly speaking your question as stated has been answered.

Likes S.G. Janssens
I think we want to proove A + f is an automorphisme.

As it at been said we have to proove f linear and bijectif.

Two different answers to the question "what do you want to prove".
Calabi said:
I think we want to proove A + f is an automorphisme.
Then we are back to where we were two days ago. A + f will be an automorphism if and only if f is linear (given the properties of A and f in the OP).

Calabi said:
As it at been said we have to proove f linear and bijectif.
No idea where this comes from. There is no way one can prove f is linear and/or bijective using only the properties of f given in the OP.

Could a moderator please clean this thread up? It has become quite unreadable, notwithstanding the amount of patience that Samy_A has displayed. We require a clear problem statement from the OP, written in a single post and in clear English. Only then can others help.

@Calabi after discussion with the mentors we recommend that you open up a new thread in the advanced homework section. Please use the template, that will greatly benefit the discussion and add some structure and clarity.

Hello sorry I'm late, I accept and I'm sorry for 2 reason : first I was not very active on the conversation.
Then this exercicse is extract from a paper and the teacher made many mistake in the paper.

What is an automorphism in a Banach space?

An automorphism in a Banach space is a linear transformation that preserves the vector space structure, norm, and metric of the space. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that maps the space onto itself and does not distort the space in any way.

How is an automorphism different from an isomorphism?

While both automorphisms and isomorphisms are bijective linear transformations, an automorphism is a transformation that maps a space onto itself, while an isomorphism maps one space onto another space with the same structure.

What is the significance of automorphisms in Banach spaces?

Automorphisms play a crucial role in understanding the properties and structure of Banach spaces. They help us identify symmetries in the space and study how the space behaves under different transformations.

How do automorphisms affect the norm of a Banach space?

An automorphism preserves the norm of a Banach space, meaning that the norm of a transformed vector will be the same as the norm of the original vector. This is a crucial property that helps us understand the stability and behavior of Banach spaces.

What are some examples of automorphisms in Banach spaces?

One example of an automorphism in a Banach space is the identity map, which maps every vector onto itself. Other examples include rotations, reflections, and dilations in Euclidean spaces.