1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An incomplete (maybe wrong) proof about R^2

1. Aug 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    If z is a complex number, prove that there exists an r > 0 and a complex number w with |w|=1 such that z=rw. Are w and r always uniquely determined by z?

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    As C is a set closed under multiplication, we can define z=rw where r=(a,0) and w=(x,y). Hence z=(a,0)(x,y)=(ax,ay).
    We can choose a w such that |w|=1; sqrt{(x+yi)(x-yi)}=1 = x^2+y^2=1 and clearly, this is the equation of the unit circle. Therefore, w must be determined uniquely by z so that they could intersect.
    I don't know if my proof is valid and I'm aware of that I didn't say anything about r but I think it is related to z=(a,0)(x,y)=(ax,ay) somehow. Help please...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps the difficulty is that you think this has something to do with R^2. It doesn't. What do you get if you write z in polar form?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook