1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An increase of $0,15 on a price of 2,50 is an increse by a fraction

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1
    an increase of $0,15 on a price of 2,50 is an increse by a fraction of 0.15/2.50=0,06

expressed as a percentage,therefore a 6% increase

I don,t understand this

and why we put 0.15 is numerator

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Decide which culture you are expressing; either a comma for whole-fraction separation, or a period, dot for whole-fraction separation. Let's use the dot, or "decimal point".

You can compare the size of price increase to the original or starting price. This comparison can be expressed as a fraction. You put the 0.15 in the numerator because you are looking at how large is the increase compared to the original; otherwise, you could compare the original price to the price increase by putting the 2.50 in the numerator.

What fraction of the original is the increase? 0.15/2.50
    What fraction of the increase is the original? 2.50/0.15

Obviously, in the second case, the fraction is actually larger than 1. [two and a half over fifteen hundredths]

4. Nov 3, 2007 #3
    you mean that percentage is change over the whole

5. Nov 4, 2007 #4
    I have problem with concept of percentage

I don't understand it clearly

please help me

please

6. Nov 4, 2007 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Percentage is the numerator corresponding to a denominator of 100.
    0.06 = 6/100 = 6 %, meaning six percent.

7. Nov 4, 2007 #6

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or, if you would normalize it to 100, how much it would become. This allows for easy comparison.

Compare it to this example: brand A comes in 50 cl bottles and costs $ 0.60, brand B costs $ 0.45 but it only comes in 33 cl bottles, which one is a better buy?
    One way (the most common, I think) to see this is by converting both quantities to the 1 liter price. I need to bottles of A to make a liter, so A costs $ 1.20 for a liter, while B costs $ 0.45 * (100 / 33) [itex]\approx[/itex] $ 1.36 per liter. So though A is more expensive, it is cheaper in comparison with B.

Now take this example: in one store the salesman gives me a $ 200 discount on a TV which would normally cost $ 1500, in another store I find a cheaper TV of $ 1300 but I only get $ 125 discount. In which store will I relatively save the most money? Again, we normalize the price of a TV to $ 100. Dividing the price and the discount by 15 on both sides, I would get about $ 13.33 off at one, and (divide by 13) $9.62 at B, if the TV would cost $100. In other words, for each $100 dollar I would spend on the TV, I would get $13.33 discount at one store, and $9.62 at the other one. This is what we mean by saying "I get a 13.33% discount at one store, and 9.62% at the other" (x % being: x on every 100).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook