Oscillating charged particles and E.M waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of oscillating charged particles and their potential to generate electromagnetic waves. It is mentioned that if a friend is tied adjacent to the oscillating particle and also oscillates in parallel, he may be able to detect the waves if the phase of his oscillation is right. However, even if his radio is disabled, he may still be able to detect the waves through other radios and using accelerometers. It is also noted that the friend can detect whether he is moving inertially or not, and therefore may expect to detect the waves.
Slimy0233
TL;DR Summary
Effect of parallel motion and observation in parallel motion concerning oscillating charged particles
If I were to tie a friend of mine adjacent to the oscillating charge and make him oscillate in parallel to my oscillating charged particle such that to him the oscillating particle is at rest, would he observe the generation of electromagnetic waves.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. You might make it difficult for him to detect if you get the phase of his oscillation right, but nobody else's radios are going to stop working just because you're shaking him around.

Likes Slimy0233
Ibix said:
but nobody else's radios are going to stop working just because you're shaking him around.
I am sorry, I don't understand this, the radios thing.

Also, I get a feeling that you are saying he would be able to detect those oscillations? I mean, it's literally at rest from his perspective. So, I was just wondering how?

Slimy0233 said:
I mean, it's literally at rest from his perspective.
In a frame that is accelerating...

Likes Slimy0233
DrClaude said:
In a frame that is accelerating...
sorry Dr, but what's your point? please explain

Slimy0233 said:
I am sorry, I don't understand this, the radios thing.
Well, if there's a source of radio waves then radio detectors will be able to detect them. Even if your friend's radio is disabled by circumstance, he can still hear other radios detecting the waves, so he knows they're there. And he can tell he's oscillating using accelerometers, so even assuming that the oscillation disables the radio he can correct for it and make his radio inertial.
Slimy0233 said:
Also, I get a feeling that you are saying he would be able to detect those oscillations? I mean, it's literally at rest from his perspective. So, I was just wondering how?
You detect radio waves using the motion of electrons in a wire under the changing electromagnetic field of the wave. If you oscillate the wire I think you will cause the electrons to oscillate along with it, and they will be further accelerated by the electromagnetic field of the wave. So I think you'll still get a response from the receiver.

Remember that your friend can detect whether he is moving inertially or not in an absolute sense. So he can tell whether the charged particle holding position infront of his nose is moving inertially or not. It is, therefore, not at all obvious that he shouldn't expect EM radiation.

Likes Slimy0233 and vanhees71
The motion of the two is presumed to be far below the speed of light so relativity does not come into it.
In this case the radiation from one, when it reaches the other, will be detectable.

Likes Slimy0233
Slimy0233 said:
sorry Dr, but what's your point? please explain
You seem to be thinking that in the frame where he particle is at rest, since it is at rest and not accelerating, it cannot emit radiation. But that is only true for particles at rest in inertial frames.

Likes Slimy0233 and vanhees71
DrClaude said:
You seem to be thinking that in the frame where he particle is at rest, since it is at rest and not accelerating, it cannot emit radiation. But that is only true for particles at rest in inertial frames.
thank you very much for explaining that.

Ibix said:
Well, if there's a source of radio waves then radio detectors will be able to detect them. Even if your friend's radio is disabled by circumstance, he can still hear other radios detecting the waves, so he knows they're there. And he can tell he's oscillating using accelerometers, so even assuming that the oscillation disables the radio he can correct for it and make his radio inertial.

You detect radio waves using the motion of electrons in a wire under the changing electromagnetic field of the wave. If you oscillate the wire I think you will cause the electrons to oscillate along with it, and they will be further accelerated by the electromagnetic field of the wave. So I think you'll still get a response from the receiver.

Remember that your friend can detect whether he is moving inertially or not in an absolute sense. So he can tell whether the charged particle holding position infront of his nose is moving inertially or not. It is, therefore, not at all obvious that he shouldn't expect EM radiation.
hey... thank you again! that's very helpful!

1. What are oscillating charged particles?

Oscillating charged particles refer to particles that are constantly moving back and forth in a periodic motion due to the presence of an electric field. These particles have a net charge and are able to experience a force in the presence of an electric field, causing them to oscillate.

2. How do oscillating charged particles produce electromagnetic waves?

When oscillating charged particles move back and forth, they create a changing electric field. This changing electric field then creates a changing magnetic field, and the two fields together form an electromagnetic wave that propagates through space.

3. What is the relationship between the frequency of oscillating charged particles and the frequency of the resulting electromagnetic wave?

The frequency of the oscillating charged particles is directly related to the frequency of the resulting electromagnetic wave. This means that as the charged particles oscillate faster, the frequency of the electromagnetic wave also increases.

4. How do electromagnetic waves travel through space?

Electromagnetic waves are able to travel through space due to the fact that they do not require a medium to propagate. This means that they can travel through a vacuum and do not need a material substance to move through.

5. What are some practical applications of oscillating charged particles and electromagnetic waves?

There are many practical applications of oscillating charged particles and electromagnetic waves, including radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, and medical imaging techniques such as MRI. They also play a crucial role in technologies such as radar, GPS, and satellite communication.