Analyze the followin logical statements

• Thread starter kehler
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the logical statement that giving someone one cent will not make them rich. The participants consider the ambiguity of the term "rich" and whether the statement can be classified as true or false. They also mention similar examples of ambiguous terms such as "heat" and "fish".
kehler

Homework Statement

Well this really isn't math. But I didn't know which other category it could fall under. And I figured math uses logic anyway... But do move it if it should be posted somewhere else.
The question is:
Analyse and discuss the logical statement shown below:
if someone has one cent, he is not rich
if someone is not rich, then giving him one cent will not make him rich
therefore, no matter how many times you give a person a cent will not make him rich

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never taken a course in logic before so I'm not too sure how to approach this. It seems obvious that the conclusion is false. Is it right to say that if the conclusion is false, one of the premises must be false? I'm thinking the first statement is true, although it is kinda relative to who the person's being compared to. If someone has one cent, and another person has no money at all, he will be in some sense 'rich'. But then again according to the dictionary, being rich is to possesses great material wealth so he isn't exactly rich... The second statement I think is false. Well it seems more likely to be false that the first one and I don't think they can't both be true. But I really don't know how to argue that it's false :S. It would be easier if there were some kind of threshold where if one had more money than that, he could be considered rich..
Any opinions on this? I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to argue it logically.

Physics news on Phys.org

This is also known as the Sorites paradox. There are a lot of terms in the English language which are not defined rigorously in terms of numerical quantities such as "heap", "bald" and countless others. So the problem with this reasoning is that it assumes that you can define the term rich unambiguously in terms of the exact amount of wealth possessed by a person.

Oh I see. Thanks, i'll write that down. Does this mean that the statements are not logical then? Since one can't really assign a 'true' or 'false' to them...

the statements are false because giving someone one cent does make them slightly richer.

another example is fish evolving into amphibians. at what point did they cease to be fish? clearly being a fish isn't all or nothing. there are degrees of fishiness.

a better example might be heat. start at absolute zero and add one degree at a time. at what point does it become hot as it passes from cold to cool to lukewarm to warm to hot?

Last edited:

1. What is the process for analyzing logical statements?

The process for analyzing logical statements involves breaking down a statement into its component parts, examining the relationship between these parts, and evaluating whether the statement is valid or invalid based on the rules of logic.

2. What are the key components of a logical statement?

The key components of a logical statement are the subject, predicate, and connectives. The subject is the main topic or entity being discussed, the predicate is what is being asserted about the subject, and the connectives are the words or phrases that link the subject and predicate together.

3. How do you determine if a logical statement is valid?

A logical statement is considered valid if it follows the rules of logic and has a logically sound structure. This means that the conclusion can be logically drawn from the premises or statements that precede it. To determine if a statement is valid, one must examine the relationship between the subject and predicate and see if the connectives are used correctly.

4. What is the difference between a valid and an invalid logical statement?

A valid logical statement is one that follows the rules of logic and has a logically sound structure, meaning that the conclusion can be logically drawn from the premises. An invalid logical statement, on the other hand, does not follow the rules of logic and has a flawed structure, making the conclusion illogical or unsound.

5. How can analyzing logical statements improve critical thinking skills?

Analyzing logical statements can improve critical thinking skills by teaching individuals to break down complex arguments into smaller, more manageable parts and evaluate the validity of each component. This process helps individuals to think critically and logically, making it easier to identify flaws in arguments and make well-informed decisions.