And An Excellent Keith Laumer Reference Goes Underappreciated

• Thread starter BigDon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, My youngest is a fabricator for GM, working in their autonomous car division. She's doing so well she just opened a trade school to teach people how to use a five axis milling machine, with her own money no less AND still keeping her day job.
BigDon
My youngest is a fabricator for GM, working in their autonomous car division. She's doing so well she just opened a trade school to teach people how to use a five axis milling machine, with her own money no less AND still keeping her day job. (Lord! five axis milling machines cost over a $100,000! For the basics!)

My lament? She's never heard of the Dinochrome Brigade, or even Bolos for that matter!

(Bolos are autonomous cybertanks. Most models above Mark 19 were considered self-aware with the highest I've read being the Mark 32 Stupendous.) The higher end models had firepower ratings of "megatons per second" with 28 mps and above for Marks 30 and higher.

According to the series author they were invented by GM.

Likes hmmm27
Physics news on Phys.org
Allow me to offer a 387b - Commiseration on lack of posts, combined with 115a - amazement that there isn't a list of Diplomatic Communication Contractions on the web, somewhere.

If she's into gaming at all, you could try point her at the Steam version of Steve Jackson's game "Ogre". But she may not have copious amounts of spare time to appreciate it from the sound of things.

BigDon said:
My youngest is a fabricator for GM, working in their autonomous car division. She's doing so well she just opened a trade school to teach people how to use a five axis milling machine, with her own money no less AND still keeping her day job. (Lord! five axis milling machines cost over a $100,000! For the basics!)

My lament? She's never heard of the Dinochrome Brigade, or even Bolos for that matter!

(Bolos are autonomous cybertanks. Most models above Mark 19 were considered self-aware with the highest I've read being the Mark 32 Stupendous.) The higher end models had firepower ratings of "megatons per second" with 28 mps and above for Marks 30 and higher.

According to the series author they were invented by GM.
I must admit I haven't read the books yet. I'm under the impression (from reading Atomic Rockets) that it's the only really successful shot at writing an adventure where the protagonist/vantage point is an AI.

It goes nicely hand in hand with my post here though:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/good-online-reads.1003616/

There's a lot of operatic militarism, extended lifespans (wink to yet another thread here) and, yes, AI POV there.

EDIT: Cudos to your progeny btw. No wonder you're proud. :)

What is "And An Excellent Keith Laumer Reference Goes Underappreciated"?

"And An Excellent Keith Laumer Reference Goes Underappreciated" is a phrase that originated from a quote by science fiction writer Keith Laumer. It is often used as a reference to something that is not fully understood or appreciated by others.

Who is Keith Laumer?

Keith Laumer was an American science fiction writer known for his Bolo series and the Retief series. He was also a diplomat and served in the United States Air Force before becoming a full-time writer.

What is the significance of this reference in the scientific community?

The reference is often used as a tongue-in-cheek way to express frustration or disappointment when something is not recognized or appreciated by others. It may also be used as a way to acknowledge the complexity or depth of a scientific concept that is often overlooked.

Is there a specific context in which this reference is used?

The reference can be used in any context where something is not fully understood or appreciated. It is often used in the scientific community, but can also be used in other fields such as literature, art, or pop culture.

Are there any other references or quotes by Keith Laumer that are commonly used in the scientific community?

Yes, there are several other quotes and references by Keith Laumer that are commonly used in the scientific community, such as "There's no such thing as a free lunch" and "The more things change, the more they remain the same."

Back