And the winner of the 2006 Darwin Awards is

  • Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • #1
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
15

Main Question or Discussion Point

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-balloon05.html [Broken]

LUTZ, Fla. -- Two college students were found dead inside a large, deflated helium balloon after apparently pulling it down and crawling inside it, officials said.
:grumpy: They literally forgot to breathe...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Rach3
They didn't "forget to breathe", they asphyxiated! :grumpy:
 
  • #3
JamesU
Gold Member
750
3
Rach3 said:
They didn't "forget to breathe", they asphyxiated! :grumpy:
good, I wasn't the only one wondering WTF pengwuino was talking about
 
  • #4
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
15
Rach3 said:
They didn't "forget to breathe", they asphyxiated! :grumpy:
Fool! That line isn't funny!
 
  • #5
Rach3
Then make up something that is.
 
  • #6
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,817
1,991
My heart breaks for the parents who have lost a son and daughter. :frown: I doubt they thought about the fact that the baloon was still full of He and that there was no oxygen.

Such accidents have happened in other industries where people enter storage systems or tanks that are full of nitrogen or other inert gas. The company responsible for the balloon should have given safety instructions to the young people.
 
  • #7
213
2
This doesn't deserve darwin's award, it's too normal... :)
 
  • #8
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
15
Both of them were 21...
 
  • #9
330
1
Also know as:
Lack of Intellgence design.
This will help the Evoloution of the human race greatly.
 
  • #10
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Astronuc said:
The company responsible for the balloon should have given safety instructions to the young people.
You'd think it would be self-evident not to crawl inside a balloon, period, and especially one filled with helium. Somehow I don't think all the warnings in the world would have helped kids that are truly that stupid...or drunk....or both. You do feel sorry for the other people left behind, though. It's tough to lose someone close anytime, but it always seems more tragic when they are young.
 
  • #11
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
5,066
8
Astronuc said:
Such accidents have happened in other industries where people enter storage systems or tanks that are full of nitrogen or other inert gas. The company responsible for the balloon should have given safety instructions to the young people.
Confined space permits and training are probably not immediately on most people's minds, but you'd wish that parents would instill a certain amount of common sense in their children. Even without the presence of He, there should have been little alarms going off in their minds before trying to do it.

Then again, it could be foul play....Nah. I watch too much CSI.
 
  • #12
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
185
80
Astronuc said:
My heart breaks for the parents who have lost a son and daughter. :frown: I doubt they thought about the fact that the baloon was still full of He and that there was no oxygen.

Such accidents have happened in other industries where people enter storage systems or tanks that are full of nitrogen or other inert gas. The company responsible for the balloon should have given safety instructions to the young people.
You think the two worked there?

I kind of got the impression they were just a couple of college kids who happened to see the hydrogen balloon outside the store. I guess some kind of warning like the 'anti-theft' device warning on vending machines (the picture of the vending machine falling over on the guy shaking the machine) could have been used, but I doubt the couple read any warnings that may or may not have been on the balloon.
 
  • #13
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,817
1,991
Well, I just assumed one or the other or both were retrieving the balloon. Perhaps they just decided to get inside and have fun, not realizing that with He inside, there is no oxygen to breath. I wonder how many young people would think of that? Probably very few.
 
  • #14
JamesU
Gold Member
750
3
they were able to breathe helium in Sphere...:uhh:
 
  • #15
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,051
17
Astronuc said:
I wonder how many young people would think of that? Probably very few.
Wow, Astro! You set terribly low standards for today's youth!
 
  • #16
42
0
i think its terrible that these kids who might not have been ultra smart, made a mistake that cost them their lives and now some dorks on the internet are saying that their death was for the progress of humanity.
 
  • #17
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,817
1,991
I visited the local high school, which is one of the largest in the state and considered one of the best. I was not impressed. Two or three of the several hundred of students I met expressed capability and motivation.

On the other hand, I did hire the valedictorian a few years ago. He was a brilliant kid who just graduated from Harvard with a degree in mathematics. He turned out to be an excellent programmer. But he still has a lot to learn.
 
  • #18
DaveC426913
Gold Member
18,773
2,254
yomamma said:
they were able to breathe helium in Sphere...:uhh:
Helium mix i.e. mixed w/ Oxygen.
 
  • #19
330
1
Rach3 said:
They didn't "forget to breathe", they asphyxiated! :grumpy:
still not right. They just forgot what breathe.
 
  • #20
Evo
Mentor
23,138
2,679
heartless said:
This doesn't deserve darwin's award, it's too normal... :)
No, this definitely qualifies for the Darwin Award. How many people would do this? Aside from these two, I think the count is zero.
 
  • #21
Tsu
Gold Member
371
63
Gokul43201 said:
Wow, Astro! You set terribly low standards for today's youth!
It's hard not to when they can't even spell or speak English properly...
 
  • #22
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
15
Tsu said:
It's hard not to when they can't even spell or speak English properly...
Do you hve a problim with how we speak engrish?
 
  • #23
rcgldr
Homework Helper
8,688
521
Unless this is an urban legend, didn't a similar thing happen during a NASA tour inside a building or final stage of a Saturn rocket, where the area was filled with nitrogen gas?

True NASA atrocity: didn't anyone realized that pure oxygen at near 20psi would create a highly flammable environment?
 
  • #24
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
5,066
8
Pure oxygen at any pressure is a fire hazard. Compression heating is one of the leading causes of oxygen mishaps.
 
  • #25
rcgldr
Homework Helper
8,688
521
FredGarvin said:
Pure oxygen at any pressure is a fire hazard.
At 5 psi, as used in the Apollo missions, it was relativly safe, but at 20psi during a ground test, it wasn't. At least that is what NASA claims.
 

Related Threads on And the winner of the 2006 Darwin Awards is

  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
2K
Replies
41
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
1K
Replies
3
Views
8K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
1K
Replies
42
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
Replies
9
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
1K
Top