Angle of Sun by date and zip code?

In summary, the conversation is about a sun dial, and the person is trying to figure out the angle of the sun on a certain date in order to get the best efficiency from their solar panels.
gary350
TL;DR Summary
Angle of sun by date & zip code.
I don't know the correct works search to find this info online. I have been doing word searches since about Dec 15, 2022 but not finding what I want.??????? Some where there much be a chart by date and zip code for sun angle.

I built a sun dial in the yard to learn the angle of the sun on certain days. I found information on angle or reflation online. I have 9 solar panels to put up and 2 solar projects plus a tiny green house. If I know angle of sun on certain date and the date that I need to get max sun on solar projects then I can determine the angle of each project to get the max efficiency at a certain date.

TN is zip 37129 we have about 95% over cast and very dark clouds this time of the year so my sun dial often gives me no information most of the time. Yesterday sun came and went over and over and today too. Our solar 12 noon is 11:55 am but now we are on daylight saving time our solar 12 noon is 12.55 pm. If we have clouds for 1 hour at 12:55 pm I get no good angle readying on the sun dial.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
At an equinox, the declination of the Sun at midday is your geographical latitude. The analemma will give you the declination on other dates. Given the date and your latitude, you can read the equation of time and the changing declination from the diagram. The equation of time needs to have minutes adjusted for your longitude within your 15° wide time zone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analemma#As_seen_from_Earth

NASA has the Horizons system web page:
https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons/app.html#/
It allows you to pick an object (such as the Sun), a viewing location, time range and step size, filter the information you want ( such as Azimuth and Elevation), and then produce a table with the results.

Try this: https://nsrdb.nrel.gov/

But I bet if you used solar power in your search terms there are a bunch if resources.

Does it have to be by Zip Code? Some, like 99740, are pretty big.

Zip codes only work in the USA, with access to the official database.
Latitude and longitude work everywhere that Google Earth has coverage.
The local time correction to the analemma = (Longitude MOD 15°) * 4 minutes.

Baluncore said:
Zip codes only work in the USA
And the Federates States of Micronesia and the Republic of the Marshall Islands., Oh, and can't forget the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas.

You need to play more trivia contests in bars!

Likes sophiecentaur and Baluncore

1. What is the angle of the sun on a specific date and zip code?

The angle of the sun on a specific date and zip code varies depending on the latitude and longitude of the location. To determine the exact angle, you can use an online calculator or a specialized app that takes into account the location and date.

2. How does the angle of the sun change throughout the year?

The angle of the sun changes throughout the year due to the tilt of the Earth's axis. During the summer months, the angle of the sun is higher, resulting in longer days and more direct sunlight. In the winter, the angle is lower, resulting in shorter days and less direct sunlight.

3. Can the angle of the sun affect the temperature?

Yes, the angle of the sun can affect the temperature. When the angle of the sun is higher, the sun's rays are more direct, resulting in higher temperatures. When the angle is lower, the sun's rays are more spread out, resulting in lower temperatures.

4. How does the angle of the sun affect solar energy production?

The angle of the sun plays a significant role in solar energy production. Solar panels are most efficient when the sun's rays are perpendicular to them. As the angle of the sun changes, the efficiency of the solar panels also changes. It is essential to consider the angle of the sun when installing solar panels for maximum energy production.

5. Is there a way to predict the angle of the sun for future dates and zip codes?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available to predict the angle of the sun for future dates and zip codes. These include online calculators, weather apps, and specialized software. These predictions are based on the location and date and can help with planning outdoor activities or solar energy production.