Ann Richards (former Gov of Texas) dies at 73

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ann W. Richards, the silver-haired Texas activist who galvanized the 1988 Democratic National Convention with her tart keynote speech and was the state’s 45th governor until upset in 1994 by an underestimated challenger named George W. Bush, died Wednesday at her home in Austin. She was 73.

Ms. Richard died, surrounded by her four children, of complications from the esophageal cancer, the Associated Press reported.

Ms. Richards was the most recent and one of the most effective in a long-line of Lone Star State progressives who vied for control of Texas in the days when it was largely a one-party Democratic enclave, a champion of civil rights, gay rights and feminism. Her defeat by the future president was one of the chief markers of the end of generations of Democratic dominance in Texas.
NY Times, Sept 14, 2006

Answers and Replies

They had a great piece on Democracy Now of her speaking.

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/14/1351236 [Broken]

Forward to about 20:00

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Farewell, Ann..
http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/governors/modern/richards-p01.jpg [Broken]
you were one of a kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! How did you know where to find that photo?

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Actually, I couldn't find the picture I was looking for. Some years back she was on a magazine cover -- I think it may have been Texas Monthly. The caption was "White Hot Mama" and there was a picture of Ann wearing a white leather motorcycle outfit. She looked terrific, and it was an absolutely stunning picture. That's how I always think of her.

...uhhhh...then I won't tell you what she admitted to.:uhh:

"'Poor George.he can't help it - he was born with a silver foot in his mouth.' - Ann...:rofl: