1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Annihilation creation operator

1. Oct 27, 2006 #1

I am calculating the expectation value of the position x. I have the wave function
    psi(x) = |1> + |2>

so I use the equation <x> = <psi|(a+a^+|psi> to calculate the mean value. So I get

(<1| + <2|)(a+a^+)(|1> + |2>)

which I reduce to

<1|a|1> + <1|a|2> + <2|a|1> + <2|a|2> + <1|a+|1> + <1|a+|2> + <2|a+|1> + <2|a+|2>

if I use the properties of annihilation and creation I get some strange results such fx
    sqrt(1) <1|0> or sqrt(3)<2|3> which are totally wrong. What have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not following the notation. If a is an operator and a^ is an operator, then why is there a + after a^ and why are there no a^ in your expansion?
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  4. Oct 28, 2006 #3
    Maybe I have expressed the problem badly. a is the annihilation operator and a+ is the creation operator. I have a two state system |1>, |2> with a wavefunction (psi) = |1> + |2>. My problem is to perform the multiplication in order to find the expectation value:

(<1| + <2|)(a + a+)(|1> + |2>)

if I expand this calculation I get some strange results. How to multiple this? Any help appreciated - thanks in advance
  5. Oct 28, 2006 #4

In the above sum, only two terms are nonzero.
  6. Oct 28, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So a|n> = |n-1> and a+|n> = |n+1>? and the states are orthogonal? Is that right? Euclid seems to know what you are doing, and it seems to be consistent with this interpretation. What are <1|1> and <2|2>? Are the states orthonormal? This is not a hint. I am asking because I want to know.
  7. Oct 29, 2006 #6
    Yes the two kets |1> and |2> are orthonormale. My problem in the multiplication was the <2|3>, <1|0> which are zero.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?