Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anonymous absentee ballot mailed with $3M stamp

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1
    At the risk of perpetuating the "Florida voters are idiots" stereotype from the '00 ballot crisis - well, here you go:

And who mailed this ballot? Well, no one knows:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061110/us_nm/life_stamp_dc [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My money says it's hoax. After the recent scandal in which ballots required two first-class stamps -- while many voters mailed them with only one -- I suspect this is just a joke. Assuredly, $500,000 postage should be adequate.. My money says it's a fake stamp.

- Warren

4. Nov 11, 2006 #3
    I agree it is probably a hoax. The inverted Jenny is world famous. Even I know of it, and I've never had any interest in stamps at all.

5. Nov 12, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Echo The Edge.
    This does not, however, negate the fact that Florida voters are idiots.

6. Nov 12, 2006 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yup, the odds are enormous the stamp is a forgery, or maybe just an innocent piece of decoration. Doesn't have to be a deliberate hoax, nobody's seen the thing but some VERY amateur stamp collectors.

7. Nov 12, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anyone who had such a stamp in their possession would have it because they knew its worth, and would have never used it mistakenly to mail something, unless it was a kid who didn't know they were part of a stamp collection and just grabbed the first stamps s/he found in a desk (sort of like when my aunt used part of my mom's coin collection to buy bubble gum as a kid...I'm surprised my aunt survived her childhood between that and the other stories I've heard of the two of them).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook