Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anonymous absentee ballot mailed with $3M stamp

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1
    At the risk of perpetuating the "Florida voters are idiots" stereotype from the '00 ballot crisis - well, here you go:

And who mailed this ballot? Well, no one knows:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061110/us_nm/life_stamp_dc

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My money says it's hoax. After the recent scandal in which ballots required two first-class stamps -- while many voters mailed them with only one -- I suspect this is just a joke. Assuredly, $500,000 postage should be adequate.. My money says it's a fake stamp.

- Warren

4. Nov 11, 2006 #3
    I agree it is probably a hoax. The inverted Jenny is world famous. Even I know of it, and I've never had any interest in stamps at all.

5. Nov 12, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Echo The Edge.
    This does not, however, negate the fact that Florida voters are idiots.

6. Nov 12, 2006 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yup, the odds are enormous the stamp is a forgery, or maybe just an innocent piece of decoration. Doesn't have to be a deliberate hoax, nobody's seen the thing but some VERY amateur stamp collectors.

7. Nov 12, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anyone who had such a stamp in their possession would have it because they knew its worth, and would have never used it mistakenly to mail something, unless it was a kid who didn't know they were part of a stamp collection and just grabbed the first stamps s/he found in a desk (sort of like when my aunt used part of my mom's coin collection to buy bubble gum as a kid...I'm surprised my aunt survived her childhood between that and the other stories I've heard of the two of them).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?