Another Mathematica Question about Solve Function (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Okay, so I have this algebraic expression in terms of P,G,J,K...etc

I want to solve it for the expression P/G (where I have the "?" below in the code). But Mathematica won't let me do this in the solve function. It says that P/G is not a valid variable name.

How can I get around this and solve for P/G ?

Code:
Solve[((P*L^3)/(3*H*
       J)) - ((5*L^3)/(48*H*J))*((40 L^3 M P)/(384 H J + 5 L^3 M)) - 
   G == 0, ?]

Last edited:
Come on now... I know somebody's got this one :smile:

Am I reading this right
[tex] \frac{P L^3}{3 H J}-\left(\frac{5 L^3}{48 H J}right)\left(\frac{40 L^3 M P}{384 H J + 5 L^3 M}\right)-G=0[/tex]
Can't you just factor out the P?

Am I reading this right
[tex] \frac{P L^3}{3 H J}-\left(\frac{5 L^3}{48 H J}right)\left(\frac{40 L^3 M P}{384 H J + 5 L^3 M}\right)-G=0[/tex]
Can't you just factor out the P?
Well, yes, of course. I can; but, I want Mathematica to do that for me :smile:

Add another equation, X = P/G, and solve the system of 2 equations for X? Worth a try.

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I used to do a lot of Mathematica. Don't anymore. Two g*dd**m expensive. But what does the '?' do in your statement? Can't you specify a variable to solve for in place of that? Like Solve[G+H/P==0,P]. That's what the documentation seems to indicate.

I used to do a lot of Mathematica. Don't anymore. Two g*dd**m expensive. But what does the '?' do in your statement? Can't you specify a variable to solve for in place of that? Like Solve[G+H/P==0,P]. That's what the documentation seems to indicate.
The ? is what I want to solve for, which is not a single variable...it is an expression = P/G

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ohhhhhh. I see. Finally. How about something along the lines of NeoDevin's suggestion. Substitute G*X for P in the expression and then solve for X.

Yes! Neo's idea worked like a charm. Thanks!

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving