Another ODE, can't separate variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem set on separating variables and solving ODEs. The given solution involves introducing a new variable and using integrating factors to solve the differential equation. It is not a direct separation of variables type problem.
bryanosaurus
This is in a problem set for variables separate but I can't seem to separate them, and I do not know how to proceed.

(x^2)dy + 2xy dx = (x^2) dx

The solution given is: (3x^2)y = x^3 + c

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]x^2dy + 2xy dx = x^2 dx[/tex]

[tex]\equiv x^2 \frac{dy}{dx}+2xy=x^2[/tex]

[tex]\equiv \frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{2}{x}y=1[/tex]

this is in a form that you should know how to solve and it isn't a separation of variables type.

If you don't know how to solve ODE's in this form check this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_factor"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, yes I can solve from here. But I still don't understand why this was in the separation of variables chapter's problem set.

Well, introduce the new variable:
[tex]u=\frac{y}{x}[/tex]
Then, we have:
[tex]\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{x}\frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{u}{x}\to\frac{dy}{dx}=x\frac{du}dx}+u[/tex]

We therefore get the diff.eq:
[tex]x\frac{du}{dx}+u+2u=1\to\frac{1}{1-3u}\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex], which is separable.

What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model physical systems and phenomena.

Why can't I separate variables in this particular ODE?

Separation of variables is a technique used to solve certain types of ODEs. However, not all ODEs can be solved by this method. Some ODEs have more complex structures that require other techniques such as substitution or series solutions.

Can I still solve this ODE without separating variables?

Yes, there are other methods for solving ODEs that cannot be solved by separation of variables. These include substitution, series solutions, and numerical methods. It is important to determine the appropriate method for a particular ODE based on its structure and initial conditions.

What is the significance of solving ODEs?

Solving ODEs allows us to understand the behavior of physical systems and make predictions about their future states. It also has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.

Are there any tips for solving ODEs that can't be separated?

When faced with an ODE that cannot be solved by separation of variables, it is important to carefully analyze its structure and determine which method would be most appropriate. It can also be helpful to review and practice various solution techniques for ODEs, as well as seek guidance from textbooks or online resources.