ANSI RC, LC etc. seems to deal with shifts

• Thread starter palindrome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lc Rc
In summary, the conversation is about understanding clearances and tolerances for sliding parts in a sliding bolt fire arm. The speaker has done some research and estimates that ANSI RC 8 or 9 may meet their application, with a clearance of .005 to .012 inches. However, they are unsure about how their non-round sliding part may affect these clearances and are seeking help. They also mention the importance of experience in firearm design and the need for more information and possibly a picture to accurately determine the appropriate clearance.
palindrome
I have a clearance question. I’m in need of understanding the clearances and tolerances associated with the sliding parts in a sliding bolt fire arm. The moles are really going to hate this. After some time goggling, reading, and with a year of mechanical drafting, I estimated that ANSI RC 8 or 9 meets my application, around .005 to .012 of an inch, clearance for a sliding bolt. I downloaded a schematic from scribd.com, that has .013 diameter clearance between a sliding bolt and its receiving part. Here is where I need help, ANSI RC, LC etc. seems to deal with shifts and holes, I’m not sure how much my part having right angles affect these clearances, i.e. my sliding part isn’t round. My doodling has .006 total clearance there, is that too small, and is the higher end of .013 a better fit?

Thanks for any help,

Alan

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is really a question for someone very involved with firearm design. I can pull a clearance that I would think would work based on my experience, but that would be lacking the specific knowledge of application.

When it comes to tolerancing, experience in the particular application field is incredibly valuable. What effects does dirt and contaminants from firing have? What kind of lubrication is required? What tolerances are there on the straightness of the bore? It's a bit of a tough question to get right. However, we can take a stab at this if you can give some more of a description. A picture would help immensely.

1. What do the abbreviations RC, LC, etc. stand for in ANSI standards?

The abbreviation RC stands for "Residual Current" and LC stands for "Leakage Current". These are terms used to describe the electrical current that remains or leaks in a circuit after the power has been turned off.

2. Why is it important to consider shifts in ANSI RC, LC, etc. standards?

Shifts in ANSI RC, LC, etc. standards refer to changes in the levels of residual or leakage current that are deemed acceptable. It is important to consider these shifts because they can affect the safety and functionality of electrical equipment and systems.

3. How are shifts in ANSI RC, LC, etc. standards measured and monitored?

Shifts in ANSI RC, LC, etc. standards are measured and monitored using specialized equipment such as ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) and residual current devices (RCDs). These devices can detect changes in residual or leakage current levels and trigger an interruption of the power supply to prevent potential hazards.

4. What are some common causes of shifts in ANSI RC, LC, etc. standards?

Shifts in ANSI RC, LC, etc. standards can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in the electrical system, faulty wiring, damaged equipment, and moisture or contaminants in the circuit. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain electrical systems to prevent shifts in these standards.

5. How do ANSI RC, LC, etc. standards impact electrical safety?

ANSI RC, LC, etc. standards play a crucial role in ensuring electrical safety. By setting limits for residual and leakage current, these standards help prevent electric shocks and other hazards. Compliance with these standards is essential for the safe operation of electrical equipment and systems.