ANSYS: How to interpret this remote force on a spiral disk?

In summary, the conversation discusses a simulation in ANSYS involving a disk with a spiral and a remote force being applied at the center of the disk. The question is raised about how the force is spread over the entire face of the disk, which is bolted down at the edges. Two possible scenarios are discussed, with the conclusion that the deformation will be radial in both cases. The person seeking help is advised to try replicating the geometry without the spirals for a better understanding.
Anam.Rizvi
Hi!
1.png

I am new to ANSYS and I am trying to understand a simulation done by some one else.
I have a disk with a spiral in it, and it looks like there is a remote force being applied at the centre of the disk, but spread over the entire face.
I don't understand how this force is being spread over the entire face of the disk because the edge is bolted down, and only the centre can go to full travel.
Basically, I need to know if the force is truly a load acting over the entire face of the disk, or if it is just acting at the centre and pulling the inner diameter face with it.

I have attached a picture of the force on the disk.

Any help is appreciated,
Thank you!

Attachments

• Flexure Stress, Centre Force, During Travel of 20 mm (force).png
    Flexure Stress, Centre Force, During Travel of 20 mm (force).png
    40.3 KB · Views: 791
Engineering news on Phys.org
can u explain which set of holes are bolted/fixed (the inner 6 in number or outer 12 in number)

Case one: outer fixed, in that case it will behave like a diaphragm. Edges being fixed, your central areas would displace.Although force acts on the whole surface, your deformation will change radially. It will be max at center and min (zero) at edges.

Case 2: Inner bolts fixed. In this case again your deformation will be radial. But you will have max deformation at periphery/edges and min(zero) at center

try making the same geometry without the spirals, replicate everything else and see what results you get. It will help you imagine better

RKD89 said:
can u explain which set of holes are bolted/fixed (the inner 6 in number or outer 12 in number)

Case one: outer fixed, in that case it will behave like a diaphragm. Edges being fixed, your central areas would displace.Although force acts on the whole surface, your deformation will change radially. It will be max at center and min (zero) at edges.

Case 2: Inner bolts fixed. In this case again your deformation will be radial. But you will have max deformation at periphery/edges and min(zero) at center

try making the same geometry without the spirals, replicate everything else and see what results you get. It will help you imagine better

Yes I understand ! Thank you!

1. What is ANSYS and how is it used in scientific research?

ANSYS is a software program used for engineering simulation and finite element analysis. It is commonly used in scientific research to model and analyze complex physical phenomena and predict the behavior of structures and systems.

2. What is a remote force in ANSYS and how does it affect a spiral disk?

In ANSYS, a remote force is a force that is applied to a specific location on a structure or object. In the context of a spiral disk, a remote force could be used to simulate the effect of an external force or load acting on the disk, such as wind or gravity.

3. How do you interpret a remote force on a spiral disk in ANSYS?

To interpret a remote force on a spiral disk in ANSYS, you can look at the magnitude, direction, and location of the force. This information can be used to understand how the force will affect the disk and potentially make design changes or optimizations.

4. What factors should be considered when interpreting a remote force in ANSYS?

When interpreting a remote force in ANSYS, it is important to consider the material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions of the structure or object. These factors can greatly affect the behavior and response to the applied force.

5. Can ANSYS simulate and interpret complex remote forces on a spiral disk?

Yes, ANSYS is capable of simulating and interpreting complex remote forces on a spiral disk. It has various tools and features that allow for accurate and detailed analyses of different types of forces and their effects on a structure.