Converting forces from axisymmetric to 3d/symmetric ?

• Thread starter adlh01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the speaker is using ANSYS to simulate a prototype of an artificial lens in 3D. They are only simulating 1/4th of the prototype due to symmetries in the XY and ZY planes. The load, obtained from literature studies, is perpendicular to the axis and is usually reported as the total load required to stretch the lens by a certain amount. The speaker is facing challenges with applying the load as a pressure on the surface of the 'legs' and is questioning whether to use the surface area for the entire model or just the 1/4th part being modeled. They suggest making a complete model with the same symmetry as the lens for comparison. The ultimate goal is to ensure the correct loads
adlh01
I am trying to simulate a prototype on ANSYS in 3D. It has symmetries in the XY and ZY plane so I am only going to simulate 1/4th of the prototype. The prototype is an artificial lens. It has small 'legs' in the edges where it can be 'pulled', which is where the load will go. So the load is perpendicular to the axis.

The load is obtained from literature studies on the human lens. In these studies the load is usually reported as the total load required to stretch the lens by a certain amount in the x-axis, and values are from 0.08 N to 0.1 N. Usually these models are axisymmetric; I cannot do an axisymmetric model for my application because the 'legs' in the edges remove the axial symmetry.

In the 3D model, I wish to apply this load as a pressure on the surface of the 'legs', not a point force. My questions are 1) Should be pressure be calculated using the surface area for the application point in the entire model (the prototype's 4 legs), or just the 1/4th part that I'm modeling?

Right now I am doing it for 1/4th of the model and the reaction forces in both symmetry planes add up to 0.08 N.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The best way to check you have the correct loads and symmetry boundary conditions this is to make a simple "complete" model with of something the same symmetry as your lens, and a "quarter" model using symmetry.

If the results are the same, you are doing it right.
If the results are different, the looking at the differences will probably tell you what you did wrong.

In "real-world" engineering, people do checks like that all the time, if they are using an option in the software for the first time. It's much better than not being sure that you did the right thing - or even assuming the user manual doesn't have any errors in it!

adlh01 said:
Should the pressure be calculated using the surface area for the application point in the entire model (the prototype's four legs)? ...
I did not understand why there is only one "application point in the entire model (the prototype's four legs)," instead of four application points in the entire model (one on each leg).

adlh01 said:
... Or just the [quarter] part that I'm modeling?
Yes. In other words, for this particular situation and load orientation, first pretend the entire model is there, and compute the pressure (p1) you would normally apply to each leg. Then, apply exactly that same pressure (p1) to the leg in your quarter model.

Last edited:

1. How do you convert forces from axisymmetric to 3D/symmetric?

The process of converting forces from axisymmetric to 3D/symmetric involves using mathematical equations and transformations to account for the additional dimensions and symmetry. This can be done by considering the geometry of the object and the direction of the forces.

2. Are there any specific formulas or methods for converting forces?

Yes, there are specific formulas and methods for converting forces from axisymmetric to 3D/symmetric. These include using vector algebra, coordinate transformations, and integration techniques to accurately convert the forces.

3. What are the main differences between axisymmetric and 3D/symmetric forces?

The main difference between axisymmetric and 3D/symmetric forces is the number of dimensions and the presence of symmetry. Axisymmetric forces only act in two dimensions, while 3D/symmetric forces act in three dimensions. Additionally, axisymmetric forces have a rotational symmetry around one axis, while 3D/symmetric forces have a symmetry around multiple axes.

4. Why is it important to convert forces from axisymmetric to 3D/symmetric?

Converting forces from axisymmetric to 3D/symmetric is important for accurately analyzing and predicting the behavior of objects in three-dimensional space. Many real-world problems and engineering designs require considering forces in all three dimensions, and not accounting for this can lead to inaccurate results and potential failures.

5. Can computer software be used to convert forces from axisymmetric to 3D/symmetric?

Yes, computer software and simulations can be used to convert forces from axisymmetric to 3D/symmetric. These tools use advanced mathematical algorithms and models to accurately convert forces and account for the additional dimensions and symmetry. However, it is still important for scientists to understand the underlying principles and equations involved in the conversion process.