Antibiotic resistance and future effectiveness of antibiotics

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
ANTIBIOTICS could be rendered useless in little over a decade because over-prescription is leading to increased resistance from disease, a leading expert has warned.

Prof Hugh McGavock, a specialist in prescribing science, has claimed that an antibiotic crisis could lead to thousands of people dying from previously treatable illnesses by 2015.

http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/index.cfm?id=1077142003
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I am so surprise:wink:. Doctor in the province of Quebec (where I live) prescribe the most antibiotic per capita in north america. One of my friend got prescribed antibiotic after the doctor toll her she migth viral infection. My friend toll the Doctor she was studying microbiology and that she knew antibiotic can kill virus, and the doctor answer that it was in case. I think doctor prescribes antibiotic to reasure patients.

We also learn that antibiotic resistance was also link to the use of antibiotic in farming. Research have been done since the early 1980 which is when the salmonella antibiotic resistant strain appeared. Some european country have actually band the use of antibiotic for human on farm animal. It's been show that it may help reduce resistance at least in the human intestinal track.

On another notes, there actually research being done with insects. Insects immune system produce an array of antimicrobial coumpounds. Pharmaceutical company are working desperatly to create these new antibiotics.

And for an ironic comment, Alexander Flemming (He discovered penicillin) had actually predicted the rise of antibiotic resistance.
 
Originally posted by iansmith
I am so surprise:wink:. Doctor in the province of Quebec (where I live) prescribe the most antibiotic per capita in north america. One of my friend got prescribed antibiotic after the doctor toll her she migth viral infection. My friend toll the Doctor she was studying microbiology and that she knew antibiotic can kill virus, and the doctor answer that it was in case. I think doctor prescribes antibiotic to reasure patients.

We also learn that antibiotic resistance was also link to the use of antibiotic in farming. Research have been done since the early 1980 which is when the salmonella antibiotic resistant strain appeared. Some european country have actually band the use of antibiotic for human on farm animal. It's been show that it may help reduce resistance at least in the human intestinal track.

On another notes, there actually research being done with insects. Insects immune system produce an array of antimicrobial coumpounds. Pharmaceutical company are working desperatly to create these new antibiotics.

And for an ironic comment, Alexander Flemming (He discovered penicillin) had actually predicted the rise of antibiotic resistance.

I remember listening to the head of the CDC declare an end to the antibiotic era. Here is a related link with some interesting info.

http://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/index.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Prof Hugh McGavock, a specialist in prescribing science, has claimed that an antibiotic crisis could lead to thousands of people dying from previously treatable illnesses by 2015.
I've heard the stories about the antiviotic crisis. Maybe something else will be developed (DDT, anyone?). Thank goodness I'll be outta here well before the tish hits the fan.
 
Its a real problem that for now biotech firms are staying ahead of. Hopefully genetic engineering will find a way out before our super-antibiotics start falling behind.
 
Originally posted by russ_watters
Its a real problem that for now biotech firms are staying ahead of. Hopefully genetic engineering will find a way out before our super-antibiotics start falling behind.

Are these already in use? Testing? I have been waiting for these to hit. The last time that I checked [in many cases] vancomycin was still the last line of defense.
 
I wonder, how long would it take for a bacterium to loose the restistance gene to an antibiotic if that antibiotic was completely taken off the market?

Would, say, after 10 years the gene be completely lost? Since bacteria ARE very selective of their gene load, they get rid of the things they don't need relatively quick.

The same principle of how a farmer manages his land, he rotates his crops year by year so that pests are prevented from settling in the soil.

Rotate antibiotics to get rid of resistance.