Any advice for doing well in thermo?

• Courses
  • Thread starter WienerProcess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary: I'm not sure if any of these would be a better fit for you. Classical thermo is beautiful, but you'll need to be prepared for a lot of difficult material. Best of luck.In summary, this Senior in high school is struggling with a college level thermodynamics course. He is not cut out for the material and is using a calculator for arithmetic. He recommends books that approach the material from a classical perspective.
WienerProcess
Hello.

I'm a Senior in high school taking a 200-level thermodynamics course at a local university, and it's turned out to be much more difficult than I had anticipated. I had already taken and done well in quite a few college courses (including double-listed 400/500-level PDEs last year), so I didn't think the difficulty would be an issue. Of course, that's turned out to be completely wrong.

I'm completely horrid at arithmetic and rote memorization, which unfortunately seem to be required for a lot of the problems. I've tried doing lots of exercises to improve my ability in this respect, but it isn't helping. Am I simply not cut out to be a physicist? Are there any resources you might recommend that take a more conceptual approach to the subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, welcome to the forum. I don't have any answers for you. I generally made good grades in college (graduated with honors) but thermo was the course I had the most trouble with. It seems that some of us just aren't cut out to learn thermo so do your best and don't let it get you down. Good luck

WienerProcess said:
I'm completely horrid at arithmetic and rote memorization, which unfortunately seem to be required for a lot of the problems.

Well, just use a calculator for the arithmetic. I've never had a thermodynamics course which requires much rote memorization - what sort of things do you have to memorize?

Classical thermodynamics is one of the hardest courses, but extremely beautiful as coherent theoretical structure, like relativity. Many physics courses approach it through statistical mechanics, which I find ugly. Some books I like that approach it classically are those by Castellan, Pippard, and Kardar.

Last edited:
Likes Bystander
Which book are you using? Thermo can be taught using different emphases or conceptual approaches: pure classical thermo versus a statistical-mechanics based approach versus thermo for engineers...

1. How can I improve my understanding of thermodynamics?

The best way to improve your understanding of thermodynamics is to practice solving problems and actively engage with the material. This can include working through practice problems, discussing concepts with classmates or professors, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when studying thermodynamics?

One common mistake is relying too heavily on memorization rather than understanding the underlying principles. It's important to focus on understanding the concepts and how they relate to each other, rather than just trying to memorize equations or formulas.

3. How can I prepare for exams in thermodynamics?

Preparing for exams in thermodynamics involves reviewing class notes, completing practice problems, and seeking clarification on any concepts that are unclear. It can also be helpful to create study guides or flashcards to review key concepts and equations.

4. What are some effective study strategies for thermodynamics?

Effective study strategies for thermodynamics include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, creating visual aids such as diagrams or charts, and actively engaging with the material through practice problems or discussions with classmates.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying thermodynamics?

Staying motivated while studying thermodynamics can be challenging, but setting specific goals, taking breaks when needed, and seeking out support from classmates or professors can help. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the real-world applications of thermodynamics and how understanding these principles can benefit your future career as a scientist.