Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any benefits of uncertaintity?

1. Jun 3, 2009 #1
    I was just wondering that thought we ( I mean scientists :tongue2: ) are working to try to find a way out of uncertainty, is there any field, or say any particular case where uncertainty is useful. I have heard about ZPE and Domain walls and true & false vacuum ( though I don't have and detailed idea about any of them ) and they all require fluctuations, also quantum tunneling. So if we find certainty the ZPE won't be there or and may be some other things ( I don't know exactly what though ) And it will conflict with some physical laws.
    So, is uncertainty a certain necessity or just unnecessary uncertainty.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2009 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

Uncertainty is a certainty. As in, it's what fits experimental observation - and quantum theory which is built around it, has had a spectacular success at predicting new phenomena as well.

It's a necessity to explain quantum behavior. All of it. While quantum theory is probably not the final theory of everything, it will continue to be an observed phenomena.

4. Jun 5, 2009 #3
    quantum computing...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook