1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any place to take upper division physics classes online?

  1. May 9, 2015 #1
    Looking for accredited upper division physics [undergraduate] classes online/correspondence. Anyone know of any? My searches are failing me. Also, before someone says that it's impossible, upper div physics classes rarely have labs and are mostly math, so it is possible to do via correspondence. I just can't find any for some reason; only lower division ones (that have "virtual labs" :rolleyes:).

  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2


    Staff: Mentor

    Welcome to PF!

    Have you checked MIT online? They have a variety of online video lectures that you can take. Not sure if you can get unless you go to MIT and they give you a test on the course.


    Also there's coursera online courses?

    To get credit you might have to work with your university to see if they have a way to test you from what you've learned and give you course credit. I think it would be limited though to no more than a few courses and only if the department responsible agrees to prepare a test.

    Other PF advisors should pipe in here and give you a more definitive answer.
  4. May 10, 2015 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

    Check the open university
  5. May 10, 2015 #4
    The Open University offers UG courses in EM, QM (both at the level of Griffith's), astrophysics, relativity, math methods, fluid dynamics, variational calculus, literature-based dissertation and a bunch of UG and PG math courses. Check out http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/

    I did my BSc at the OU and highly recommend it if you want to study online.
  6. May 10, 2015 #5


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    I think I remember someone posting that the OU's physics courses are not available in the US, which (if true) may or may not be applicable to the original poster.
  7. May 10, 2015 #6
    I researched this recently. Physics courses are available in the USA and so are PG math courses. UG math courses are not, including math methods and fluid dynamics that I mentioned above. https://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/countries/USA.shtm
  8. May 10, 2015 #7
    Thanks for responses.

    Is Open the only one? Are Open courses considered accredited and transferable?
  9. May 10, 2015 #8
    OU is accredited by the same UK government agency as any other British university. You can find some details on its recognition in the USA on OU's Wikipedia page. Whether the credit is transferrable depends on regulations governing the program you want it transferred to.
  10. May 10, 2015 #9


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    If you are currently a student at a US college or university, find out their procedure for requesting transfer credit. They may require that they pre-approve the course before you take it. Ask the registrar's office or look on their web site.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Any place to take upper division physics classes online?