Order of upper-division physics classes?

In summary: As long as you've had the prerequisites for upper-division E&M, you should be OK. However, if you're still unsure, it's always a good idea to check with your academic advisor or the professor teaching the course.In summary, the conversation discusses the student's background in physics and math, their current fall schedule, and their concerns about taking an early upper-division E&M course. They have already covered some topics in a previous physics course, but are unsure if they should take the course in the fall or wait until it is offered again. The sequence of upper-division physics courses is flexible and it is recommended to consult with an advisor or professor for further guidance.
oox
I'm not exactly sure of the intended order of the upper-division physics classes because they aren't ordered one after another.

My current background is all As in: Calc1-3, ODEs, Linear Algebra, lower division mechanics and E&M, and another physics course that didn't transfer from my previous college(covered fluids, sound waves, electromagnetic waves, thermodynamics, and entropy)

I have not had:

General Physics 3 - "Examines sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and geometrical and physical optics. Introduces modern physics, including discovery of the electron, the photon, wave-particle duality, the Bohr model of H-atom, the Schrödinger equation, quantum numbers, the Pauli principle and periodic table, and lasers."

This course isn't offered until spring. I've had the sound waves and electromagnetic wave aspect of it from the physics course that didn't transfer and could self-study the other stuff if it's important for my fall schedule. However, it's not listed as a prerequisite for any of my fall classes.

Fall schedule:

Survey of Partial Differential Equations (Prereqs: Calc 3, ODEs) - "Surveys elementary differential equations of physics; separation of variables and superposition of solutions; orthogonal functions and Fourier series. Introduces boundary value problems, Fourier and Laplace transforms."

General Physics 4 (Prereqs: None listed) - "Examines thermodynamics, including temperature, zeroth law, thermal expansion, specific heat, first law, second law, entropy, third law, kinetic theory, Brownian motion, and the ideal gas. Also explores special relativity, including historical background, Lorentz transformations, length contraction, time dilation, invariance of the laws of physics, relativistic dynamics and kinematics, and paradoxes."

Pretty much all of the thermodynamics covered in this course I've already had.

Intermediate Mechanics (Prereqs: Calc 3, Freshman mechanics) - "
Vectors, Newtonian mechanics: rectilinear motion of a particle, general motion of a particle in three dimensions, oscillations, Hamilton's variational principle: derivation of Lagrange's equations and Hamilton's equations with simple applications , equivalence to Newtonian dynamics, forces of constraint and the Lagrange multiplier method, generalized forces, noninertial reference systems, gravitation and central forces."

Electricity and Magnetism (Prereqs: Calc 3, ODEs, Freshman E&M - "Examines vector calculus, Gauss' law, scalar and vector potentials, Laplace and Poisson's equations, dielectrics, electrostatic and magnetostatic fields, Ampere's law, Faraday's law, and Maxwell's equations."

I'm mainly concered about the E&M course. I have the prerequisites but is it normally taken this early? The suggested sequence (I think it's outdated because sometimes it doesn't make sense) at my university is QM before E&M although I can't figure out why.

The other 2 physics classes seem fine, I'm just wondering when people usually take E&M? If it's completely fine I may add an english course but I was advised to keep the first semester of upper-division courses light.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you've had the prerequisites for upper-division E&M, you should be OK. Generally, the sequence of upper-division physics courses is pretty flexible because they usually require only the intro physics and calculus sequences, and maybe an extra math course like differential equations and/or linear algebra.

Here, upper division E&M and QM are offered in alternate years, so some students get one first, some the other.

1. What are the prerequisites for upper-division physics classes?

The prerequisites for upper-division physics classes vary depending on the specific course and university. However, most upper-division physics classes require completion of lower-division physics courses, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, as well as advanced mathematics courses like calculus and linear algebra.

2. What topics are typically covered in upper-division physics classes?

Upper-division physics classes cover a wide range of topics, including quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, and modern physics. Some courses may also focus on specific areas of physics, such as astrophysics or nuclear physics.

3. Are upper-division physics classes more difficult than lower-division classes?

Upper-division physics classes are generally more challenging than lower-division classes. They require a deeper understanding of fundamental concepts and often involve more advanced mathematical techniques. However, the level of difficulty can also vary depending on the individual course and the student's background knowledge.

4. How can I prepare for upper-division physics classes?

To prepare for upper-division physics classes, it is important to have a strong understanding of lower-division physics and mathematics concepts. You can also review and practice advanced mathematical techniques, such as differential equations and vector calculus, which are commonly used in upper-division physics courses. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the course syllabus and recommended textbooks can help you prepare for specific topics and assignments.

5. What are some common career paths for those who major in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, government organizations, or private industry. Many physics majors also go on to pursue graduate studies in physics or related fields such as engineering, astronomy, or computer science. Other potential career paths include teaching, science journalism, or working in technical roles in industries such as healthcare, energy, or telecommunications.