Anybody remember Liederkranz cheese?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of Liederkranz cheese and its popularity in the past and present. One person shared their fond memories of the cheese as a grad student in Michigan, while another mentioned its recent revival in Wisconsin after production stopped in 1985. The conversation also touched upon other smelly cheeses and fond childhood memories.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
When I was a grad student at Michigan 30-35 years ago, one of my guilty food pleasures was Liederkranz cheese, an American-made relative of German Limburger cheese: crusty on the outside, soft and gooey on the inside and smelly! Then I left grad school, couldn't find it any more, and figured people just don't go for that stuff down here in the South.

Just now I've found out from my random web-wanderings that production of Liederkranz actually shut down completely in 1985 at the factory that made it in Ohio, but was recently revived by a company in Wisconsin:

http://www.jsonline.com/business/89242162.html

Just what I need, an excuse to make a trip to Wisconsin! :smile:

A long time ago, I remember seeing a cartoon showing a mouse-like alien stepping off a UFO, with a request: "Take me to your Liederkranz!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember my dad eating sardines and smelly cheese when I was a smallfry. It kept us out of the kitchen until we realized the taste was great. Nowadays, I usually eat plain old patriotic american cheese.

Good to know. Even as a little kid, I was always a fan of smelly cheese.

I vaguely remember the name, but I don't think I ever had any. My father used to eat Limburger cheese and I liked it too. Just last month I bought some for the first time since I was a child. I still like it.

I find this information intriguing. It is interesting to see how food preferences and production can change over time. Liederkranz cheese, once a popular and beloved food, disappeared from the market for 35 years before being revived by a different company. This speaks to the ever-evolving nature of the food industry and consumer tastes.

Furthermore, the revival of Liederkranz cheese in Wisconsin showcases the importance of food culture and regional specialties. It is not uncommon for certain foods to be more popular in certain regions or for certain regions to have a long-standing tradition of producing a specific type of food. It will be interesting to see if Liederkranz cheese will regain its popularity and become a sought-after food once again.

As a side note, it is also fascinating to see how technology and the internet have made it possible for people to reconnect with their favorite foods from the past. The mention of a "random web-wandering" leading to the discovery of Liederkranz cheese being revived shows the power of information and the internet in bringing people together and reviving old traditions.

1. What is Liederkranz cheese?

Liederkranz cheese is a type of soft, creamy cheese that originated in Germany in the late 1800s. It is known for its pungent smell and strong flavor.

2. Is Liederkranz cheese still available?

No, unfortunately Liederkranz cheese is no longer in production. It was discontinued in the 1980s due to declining popularity and difficulties in production.

3. Why was Liederkranz cheese so popular?

Liederkranz cheese was popular for its unique flavor and creamy texture. It was also often used in cooking and was a staple in many German dishes.

4. Can Liederkranz cheese be substituted with another cheese?

While there is no exact substitute for Liederkranz cheese, similar cheeses such as Limburger or Muenster can be used in its place. However, the taste and texture may differ.

5. Is there a way to make Liederkranz cheese at home?

Unfortunately, there is no known recipe for making Liederkranz cheese at home. Its unique production process and aging techniques make it difficult to replicate.