Anyone else seeing PF truncating words?

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary, there has been a recent issue on PF where the last letter or two of a word or punctuation mark is eliminated when correcting a post. This issue has been noticed by multiple users, but it seems to be limited to certain situations involving autocorrect or autocomplete. It has been reported on both desktop and iPad devices, and may be related to screen magnification or rendering settings. Some users have had success resolving the issue with a reboot or by installing a custom keyboard.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is anyone else noticing a minor problem for about the last month or so - that particularly when correcting a word on a post, PF frequently eliminates the last letter or two of the word? Or a punctuation mark. It's happened also as I was writing this, almost every post, not imagined, and I am not seeing it at any sites other than PF.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not me (other than the character limit on thread titles).

I hav no see suc a thin eithe.

• Haha
Likes berkeman, phinds, epenguin and 1 other person
Me neither. Could be a browser specific thing - what OS and browser do you use?

I don't see that. The next time you do see it, use SCREEN PRINT to capture an image and post it.

Here's a guess, screen magnification sometimes results in anomalous behavior of rendition. When in doubt, return the screen to 100%, and see if it goes away. It is under SCALE and LAYOUT in the Windows Display Settings. Mine is set to 125%

1656095522391.png

Likes dextercioby
epenguin said:
Is anyone else noticing a minor problem for about the last month or so - that particularly when correcting a word on a post, PF frequently eliminates the last letter or two of the word? Or a punctuation mark. It's happened also as I was writing this, almost every post, not imagined, and I am not seeing it at any sites other than PF.
Lots of issues but I don't it's pf. I go desk top they tend to go away

Ibix said:
Me neither. Could be a browser specific thing - what OS and browser do you use?
I pad 15.0.2
update waiting but I've learned to not hurry.
I use a vpn which does interfere with a minor thing or two.

anorlunda said:
creen magnification sometimes results in anomalous behavior of rendition
And sometimes this goes away after a reboot. As if Windows rendering depends on both the current mode but also the boot mode.

pinball1970 said:
Lots of issues but I don't it's pf. I go desk top they tend to go away
Yeah, I can see you are not having any trouble posting right now... :wink:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
anorlunda said:
I don't see that. The next time you do see it, use SCREEN PRINT to capture an image and post it.
But when he tries that his PC keeps throwing an error for an invalid SCREE PRIN command... :wink:

• Haha
Likes anorlunda and Vanadium 50
epenguin said:
I pad 15.0.2
You could try a proper shutdown and reboot if you haven't already. And I don't know if iPads let you install custom keyboards - you could try that if it can do it. Or install the update and see if that fixes it.

It happens on my iPad, too, in certain situations involving the iOS autocomplete or maybe the autocorrect function. I don't think it's just on PF. I can see it and fix it before posting. I tried to trigger it while I was writing this, but failed.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
OK so it is a minor issue limited to iPad. I have updated the software but the defect is still ther. <<- That's what happens.

1. What does "PF truncating words" mean?

"PF truncating words" refers to a phenomenon where certain words or phrases are cut off or shortened when displayed on a computer or electronic device. This can happen due to limited screen space or font settings.

2. Why does PF truncate words?

PF truncation can occur for a variety of reasons, including limited screen size, font settings, or programming errors. It can also be intentional, such as when abbreviations or acronyms are used.

3. Is PF truncation a common issue?

Yes, PF truncation is a common issue, especially in digital communication and on social media platforms where character limits are enforced. It can also occur in other forms of digital media, such as websites, emails, and documents.

4. How can I prevent PF truncation?

To prevent PF truncation, you can adjust your screen or font settings to allow for more space, use shorter words or phrases, or avoid using abbreviations or acronyms. If you are a programmer, you can also check for and fix any coding errors that may be causing the truncation.

5. Is there a way to fix PF truncation once it has occurred?

If you are experiencing PF truncation, you can try adjusting your screen or font settings to see if that helps. If the issue persists, you may need to contact the source of the text, such as the website or sender, to report the issue and request a fix.