Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone else watching the World Baseball Classic?

1. Mar 18, 2006 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Cuba's uniforms are very red. But are they red enough to throw off the Dominicans? I am cheering for DR for no real reason. Who do you think will win?

Japan vs. Korea tonight. I like Japan. Again, no real reason. Call it women's intuition. (:rolleyes:)

P.S. I am learning about baseball. If you feel the urge, teach me something cool.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2006 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

The U.S. isn't even in it anymore. What's the point?

4. Mar 18, 2006 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

For the love of the game?

5. Mar 18, 2006 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The Dominican Republic has one of the better lineups ever fielded by a baseball team. South Korea hasn't lost yet, but it's hard to see them remaining that hot. I haven't watched any games, though, but I'd still imagine the DR will take it.

Great job by the US. Bronze medal in basketball, don't advance to the medal rounds in hockey, don't advance to the semifinals in baseball. At least we can always count on our national women's softball team.

6. Mar 19, 2006 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Gah, why can't they play in the rain? I really like Japan's pitcher, Uehara. I think Japan's gonna win, but I hope they give Korea a chance to finish the game. Seriously, why can't they play in the rain? I've watched football games played in snow. Snow, people. Oy.

7. Mar 19, 2006 #6
    The WBC is awesome. It has its flaws presently, but it has produced many exciting games. I'm rooting for Japan in the final.

8. Mar 19, 2006 #7

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Softball was voted out of the 2012 Olympics. It's dangerous to be too dominant. The US women's hockey team did women's hockey a big favour by losing to Sweden this year, hopefully a good sign for more international competition.

9. Mar 19, 2006 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A favour?

They clearly lost.

10. Mar 19, 2006 #9
    What's wrong with always being the best? Just so long as its done legally and through no cheating, I have no problem if a single country always wins in a certain event.

11. Mar 19, 2006 #10

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not in anyway saying they lost intentionally, but yes I call it a favour-tongue firmly in cheek. There could be only so many olympics and world championships with Canada and the USA as a lock for the Gold and Silver medals before it got tossed out of the Olympics. One of them had to lose and it wasn't us :tongue:, so I thank the American team.

12. Mar 19, 2006 #11

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's dull. If one country is always so very far ahead of everyone else, the victory isn't terribly thrilling or emotional. I find I get more caught up in a sport if the outcome is uncertain.

13. Mar 19, 2006 #12
    Oh, I agree. But that doesn't mean there can't be fierce competition, close games, and uncertain results. You don't have to be unbeatable to win. I love watching neck-and-neck competition, but I really don't care who wins. So what if one country or team always wins, so long as it's fun to watch?

14. Mar 19, 2006 #13
    At the 2004 Olympics the US softball team was 9-0 and outscored its opponents 51-1. I think his point is that in that situation, you do know who's going to win, and it's not fun to watch. And situations like that aren't going to promote the sport in other countries, which is what we want so the other teams become more competitive in the future.

15. Mar 19, 2006 #14

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Have you ever tried throw a baseball into a 2' x 2' strike zone when it's wet and there is rain blowing in your face? It's impossible throw anything other than a fastball and even get close. You can't just run the ball or use short out patterns like in football. Baseball is a precision sport, which is why they play it in the summer.

16. Mar 19, 2006 #15

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You bet, as long as it's competitive I'm game. LeBrad's softball example is the kind of thing I'm refering to. How satisfying was it for US softball fans to see their team proudly at the top of an anthill? I'm sure they were pleased they were at the top, but it would be more satisfying and entertaining to have watched them struggle against fierce competition to get there.

Sweden in the hockey final I think will do wonders for promoting the womens game in their country (hopefully others as well), and should strengthen their team in the future. I honestly look forward to the day Canada has a reasonable chance of not making the final and they have more than one opponent who has any shot of beating them.

17. Mar 20, 2006 #16

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Can't they just bring out the tee?

18. Mar 20, 2006 #17

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Sure, if they want the game to last thirteen hours, set a new record for home runs, and end 63-59.

19. Mar 20, 2006 #18

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Okay, so just make the batters wear blindfolds. Do I have to think of everything?

20. Mar 20, 2006 #19
    The big game is tonight!

I'm very interested to see how the Japanese style of play matches up with the Cuban style. Hopefully it will be as good as most of the other games have been.

I'm also anxious to see if any Cuban players try to defect. Do they have any sort of security measures to make sure they all go home to Cuba? I am going to assume all of their families are being held hostage to ensure the players return.

21. Mar 20, 2006 #20

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I don't know what happened to Japan last inning, but I hope they wake up. I like Japan's style. They're smart. That's how I would play. Ack, 6-5 now. Wake up!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?