Anyone else watching the World Baseball Classic?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Baseball
In summary: I think the author is getting at. Have you ever tried throw a baseball into a 2' x 2' strike zone when it's wet and there is rain blowing in your face? It's impossible throw... and that's what I think the author is getting at.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
Cuba's uniforms are very red. But are they red enough to throw off the Dominicans? I am cheering for DR for no real reason. Who do you think will win?

Japan vs. Korea tonight. I like Japan. Again, no real reason. Call it women's intuition. (:rolleyes:)

P.S. I am learning about baseball. If you feel the urge, teach me something cool.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The U.S. isn't even in it anymore. What's the point?

For the love of the game?

The Dominican Republic has one of the better lineups ever fielded by a baseball team. South Korea hasn't lost yet, but it's hard to see them remaining that hot. I haven't watched any games, though, but I'd still imagine the DR will take it.

Great job by the US. Bronze medal in basketball, don't advance to the medal rounds in hockey, don't advance to the semifinals in baseball. At least we can always count on our national women's softball team.

Gah, why can't they play in the rain? I really like Japan's pitcher, Uehara. I think Japan's going to win, but I hope they give Korea a chance to finish the game. Seriously, why can't they play in the rain? I've watched football games played in snow. Snow, people. Oy.

The WBC is awesome. It has its flaws presently, but it has produced many exciting games. I'm rooting for Japan in the final.

loseyourname said:
At least we can always count on our national women's softball team.

Softball was voted out of the 2012 Olympics. It's dangerous to be too dominant. The US women's hockey team did women's hockey a big favour by losing to Sweden this year, hopefully a good sign for more international competition.

shmoe said:
Softball was voted out of the 2012 Olympics. It's dangerous to be too dominant. The US women's hockey team did women's hockey a big favour by losing to Sweden this year, hopefully a good sign for more international competition.

A favour?

They clearly lost.

shmoe said:
What's wrong with always being the best? Just so long as its done legally and through no cheating, I have no problem if a single country always wins in a certain event.

JasonRox said:
A favour?

They clearly lost.

I'm not in anyway saying they lost intentionally, but yes I call it a favour-tongue firmly in cheek. There could be only so many olympics and world championships with Canada and the USA as a lock for the Gold and Silver medals before it got tossed out of the Olympics. One of them had to lose and it wasn't us :tongue:, so I thank the American team.

Dawguard said:
What's wrong with always being the best? Just so long as its done legally and through no cheating, I have no problem if a single country always wins in a certain event.

It's dull. If one country is always so very far ahead of everyone else, the victory isn't terribly thrilling or emotional. I find I get more caught up in a sport if the outcome is uncertain.

shmoe said:
It's dull. If one country is always so very far ahead of everyone else, the victory isn't terribly thrilling or emotional. I find I get more caught up in a sport if the outcome is uncertain.
Oh, I agree. But that doesn't mean there can't be fierce competition, close games, and uncertain results. You don't have to be unbeatable to win. I love watching neck-and-neck competition, but I really don't care who wins. So what if one country or team always wins, so long as it's fun to watch?

Dawguard said:
Oh, I agree. But that doesn't mean there can't be fierce competition, close games, and uncertain results. You don't have to be unbeatable to win. I love watching neck-and-neck competition, but I really don't care who wins. So what if one country or team always wins, so long as it's fun to watch?

At the 2004 Olympics the US softball team was 9-0 and outscored its opponents 51-1. I think his point is that in that situation, you do know who's going to win, and it's not fun to watch. And situations like that aren't going to promote the sport in other countries, which is what we want so the other teams become more competitive in the future.

honestrosewater said:
Gah, why can't they play in the rain? I really like Japan's pitcher, Uehara. I think Japan's going to win, but I hope they give Korea a chance to finish the game. Seriously, why can't they play in the rain? I've watched football games played in snow. Snow, people. Oy.

Have you ever tried throw a baseball into a 2' x 2' strike zone when it's wet and there is rain blowing in your face? It's impossible throw anything other than a fastball and even get close. You can't just run the ball or use short out patterns like in football. Baseball is a precision sport, which is why they play it in the summer.

Dawguard said:

You bet, as long as it's competitive I'm game. LeBrad's softball example is the kind of thing I'm referring to. How satisfying was it for US softball fans to see their team proudly at the top of an anthill? I'm sure they were pleased they were at the top, but it would be more satisfying and entertaining to have watched them struggle against fierce competition to get there.

Sweden in the hockey final I think will do wonders for promoting the womens game in their country (hopefully others as well), and should strengthen their team in the future. I honestly look forward to the day Canada has a reasonable chance of not making the final and they have more than one opponent who has any shot of beating them.

loseyourname said:
Have you ever tried throw a baseball into a 2' x 2' strike zone when it's wet and there is rain blowing in your face? It's impossible throw anything other than a fastball and even get close. You can't just run the ball or use short out patterns like in football. Baseball is a precision sport, which is why they play it in the summer.
Can't they just bring out the tee?

honestrosewater said:
Can't they just bring out the tee?

Sure, if they want the game to last thirteen hours, set a new record for home runs, and end 63-59.

loseyourname said:
Sure, if they want the game to last thirteen hours, set a new record for home runs, and end 63-59.
Okay, so just make the batters wear blindfolds. Do I have to think of everything?

The big game is tonight!

I'm very interested to see how the Japanese style of play matches up with the Cuban style. Hopefully it will be as good as most of the other games have been.

I'm also anxious to see if any Cuban players try to defect. Do they have any sort of security measures to make sure they all go home to Cuba? I am going to assume all of their families are being held hostage to ensure the players return.

I don't know what happened to Japan last inning, but I hope they wake up. I like Japan's style. They're smart. That's how I would play. Ack, 6-5 now. Wake up!

Right on!

Japan wins!

I'm happy about that.

Are there any MLB teams that play like Japan? I've only seriously watched four games: Japan vs. Cuba, Japan vs. Korea, Cuba vs. DR, and USA vs. Mexico. But so far, it seems like there are two basic strategies: gorilla and capuchin monkey. Perhaps depending mostly on their size, they seem to focus on either power or shrewdness and to not bother developing the other. It seemed to me that, if they tried to, the smaller ones could bigger and the duller ones could be sharper, so why aren't they? Not enough resources? Specialization is a better strategy? Am I imagining things? Aren't those organ grinder monkeys wicked hilarious?

honestrosewater said:
Are there any MLB teams that play like Japan? I've only seriously watched four games: Japan vs. Cuba, Japan vs. Korea, Cuba vs. DR, and USA vs. Mexico. But so far, it seems like there are two basic strategies: gorilla and capuchin monkey. Perhaps depending mostly on their size, they seem to focus on either power or shrewdness and to not bother developing the other. It seemed to me that, if they tried to, the smaller ones could bigger and the duller ones could be sharper, so why aren't they? Not enough resources? Specialization is a better strategy? Am I imagining things? Aren't those organ grinder monkeys wicked hilarious?

Japan has patience on the plate. They don't swing just to swing or to try to hit a homerun. While the American players are usually sluggers/power hitters/home run hitters. I don't know what a capuchin monkey is? perhaps you're referring to their strategy of small ball, which is bunting to let a runner steal a base. Doing the little things - base stealing, bunting to score, sacrifice fly to let a runner score from third base and all that.

Pitching and defense wins games so if you have a pitcher on the mound with his act together then it will be difficult to score off him. If you have say a Roger Clemens or Mike Mussina on the mound on a very good day or even on a bad day the chances of the other team scoring a lot of runs is not very high.

Last edited:
jimmydelgado777 said:
I don't know what a capuchin monkey is?
Capuchin monkey:

http://xs300.xs.to/xs300/06205/RallyMonkey.jpg

I just chose it to contrast with the gorilla. Gorilla = big + dumb. Capuchin monkey = little + clever. I like to oversimplify things. It keeps me from having to think too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the World Baseball Classic?

The World Baseball Classic (WBC) is an international baseball tournament sanctioned by the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) that features national teams from around the world. It is held every four years and is considered the highest level of international competition in baseball.

2. When is the next World Baseball Classic?

The next World Baseball Classic is scheduled to take place in 2023. It was originally supposed to be held in 2021, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was postponed for two years.

3. How many teams participate in the World Baseball Classic?

A total of 20 teams participate in the World Baseball Classic. The top 12 teams from the previous tournament automatically qualify, while the remaining 8 teams go through a qualifying process.

4. How is the winner determined in the World Baseball Classic?

The winner of the World Baseball Classic is determined through a single-elimination format. The teams are divided into four pools and play a round-robin format within their pool. The top two teams from each pool advance to the next round, where they play in a single-elimination bracket until the final two teams face off in the championship game.

5. Has the United States ever won the World Baseball Classic?

Yes, the United States has won the World Baseball Classic once in 2017. They have also finished in the top four in all four editions of the tournament, making them one of the most successful teams in WBC history.