Anyone have any good tutortials for MikTeX?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, a person is new to using LaTeX and is seeking resources to learn more about it. They have found YouTube videos to be lacking and have used the WikiBook and .tex files to learn. They use Texmaker and TeXniCenter as editors and have used the Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX as a resource. They are also looking for tips on how to zoom in and upload images in TeXWorks.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Yeah pretty much new to this and I think I need it

The Attempt at a Solution

YouTube videos, unfortunately, none of them does the justice of explaining it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I can't think of a good [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] tutorial off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's one out there. I learned [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] by reading through the WikiBook and looking at .tex files. If you know HTML it's not too dissimilar.

What editor do you use? I use Texmaker and, the few times I'm on Windows, I sometimes use TeXniCenter. Don't have much experience with TeXworks.

Not so sure why this is in homework, but whatever. When I was just getting started, I used the Not So Short Introduction to [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]. It and other similar resources are at:
http://www.latex-project.org/guides/

How do you zoom into the tex in TeXWorks? It's too small sometimes.

You can change the font size through the preferences.

Does anyone know how to upload jpg images or gif images into it?

MATLABdude said:
You can change the font size through the preferences.

I don't have a preference option

flyingpig said:
Does anyone know how to upload jpg images or gif images into it?

Read this: http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf. It will tell you most of what you need to know about latex.

flyingpig said:
I don't have a preference option

Sure you do! Look under the Edit menu.

That tip from page 8 of the TexWorks manual:
http://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/tools/editors/TeXworks/manual.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
flyingpig said:
How do you zoom into the tex in TeXWorks? It's too small sometimes.

If you are using the Firefox browser, hit ctrl "+" a few times to enlarge the screen.

1. What is MikTeX?

MikTeX is a popular, open-source typesetting system used for creating documents with mathematical equations and symbols. It is based on the TeX typesetting system and is compatible with both Windows and Unix operating systems.

2. How is MikTeX different from other typesetting systems?

MikTeX is unique in that it allows for on-demand package installations, meaning that only the necessary packages for a specific document are installed, saving storage space and simplifying the installation process. It also has a user-friendly interface and is constantly updated with bug fixes and new features.

3. Can I use MikTeX for any type of document?

While MikTeX is primarily used for scientific and mathematical documents, it can also be used for other types of documents such as letters, resumes, and presentations. It offers a variety of document templates and customization options to suit different needs.

4. Are there any good tutorials available for learning MikTeX?

Yes, there are many tutorials available for learning MikTeX. Some popular resources include the official MikTeX user manual, online forums and communities, and video tutorials on platforms like YouTube. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer workshops or courses on using MikTeX.

5. Is MikTeX free to use?

Yes, MikTeX is completely free to use and is distributed under the GPL license. It is constantly maintained and updated by the MikTeX team and is available for download on their official website.