Do you have any good advice for getting started on a research project?

In summary, an engineering student is struggling to complete a 20 page research paper on a new topic within a tight deadline. They are frustrated with the amount of unfamiliar terminology in the recommended papers and express disinterest in their field of study. The student seeks advice for getting started and is advised to find something interesting and to read an introductory textbook to gain a basic understanding of the subject.
djokovicmurray
I'm an engineering student. I have to create a 20 page research paper on a topic that is new to me. I have to hand it in in about 3.5 weeks. I looked at the initial papers that my supervisor recommended to me today. Maybe I'm insanely impatient but reading papers with tonnes of terms that I don't understand is immensely frustrating for me. I don't even have any interest in engineering any way (in my country you can't switch majors after starting them). And obviously academic papers are written for people who understand what's going on.

Do you have any advice for getting started? My supervisor wants me to do a bit of original work as well, not just review. Do the initial stages of learning a new topic always come with a lot of head bashing against the desk until you understand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't switch majors? What country is that?

Try to find something is even remotely interesting to you. And yes, the initial stages are tough because that's when you're most unfamiliar with any of the relevant terminology. But as you go on, you'll start to learn the terminology and understand the concepts that go with them. I'd suggest picking up an introductory textbook on the subject and reading at least the first few chapters to get some basic ground work.

1. How do I choose a research topic?

First, think about your interests and what you are passionate about. Then, do some preliminary research to see what has already been done in that area. Finally, narrow down your topic based on feasibility and relevance.

2. What steps should I take before starting my research project?

Before starting your research, it is important to define your research question, review relevant literature, and develop a research plan. You should also ensure that you have access to necessary resources and equipment.

3. How do I find reliable sources for my research?

Start by using reputable databases and search engines, such as Google Scholar or PubMed, to find relevant literature. Additionally, you can consult with your advisor or colleagues for recommendations on reliable sources in your field.

4. What methods should I use for data collection?

The methods you use for data collection will depend on your research question and the type of data you need. This can include surveys, experiments, interviews, or observation. It is important to choose a method that is appropriate for your research and will produce reliable results.

5. How do I stay organized throughout the research process?

Using a project management tool, such as Trello or Asana, can help you stay organized and keep track of tasks and deadlines. It is also important to regularly communicate with your advisor or research team and document your progress and findings.