Anyone know how to filter out conversations in gmail?

In summary: Probably a setting in whatever forum that is to not send you notices for every little thing.I wish, but it's actually not a forum. They're all college wide emails sent out by the student body. Unfortunately, the only filters I see on gmail are to manually mute a current email conversation.Have you tried the Settings gear on the right? Select the Settings option in the dropdown and then the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab. From there, you should be able to create a filter to block the offending emails.If no important mails are sent from that particular mail address, you can block it. Just click on "Report spam", and further mails will just go to your spam box
astroman707
I get a ridiculous amount of gmail every day from my college's student body, but 95% is just students flooding the emails with nonsense ' forum bump' type responses and it's a chore to try and check my emails.
--Does anyone have any idea how to filter out or mute responses to future emails?--
I'd like to get the original emails, but then never be notified again.

Physics news on Phys.org
astroman707 said:
I get a ridiculous amount of gmail every day from my college's student body, but 95% is just students flooding the emails with nonsense ' forum bump' type responses and it's a chore to try and check my emails.
--Does anyone have any idea how to filter out or mute responses to future emails?--
I'd like to get the original emails, but then never be notified again.
Probably a setting in whatever forum that is to not send you notices for every little thing.

Im not a Gmail user but gogling found this which suggests you can automatically label and move/filter messages from a specific sender...

https://zapier.com/blog/gmail-filters/

I suppose their might be a way to label and filter messages that begin "re:"

russ_watters said:
Probably a setting in whatever forum that is to not send you notices for every little thing.
I wish, but it's actually not a forum. They're all college wide emails sent out by the student body. Unfortunately, the only filters I see on gmail are to manually mute a current email conversation.

Have you tried the Settings gear on the right? Select the Settings option in the dropdown and then the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab. From there, you should be able to create a filter to block the offending emails.

If no important mails are sent from that particular mail address, you can block it. Just click on "Report spam", and further mails will just go to your spam box instead of flooding your inbox.

I have done the same with four or five mail addresses where unsubscribing didn't work (my emails were from an institution that I left after one month of joining). Reminds me of James Veitch's TedTalk The Agony of Trying to Unsubscribe.

Borg said:
Have you tried the Settings gear on the right? Select the Settings option in the dropdown and then the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab. From there, you should be able to create a filter to block the offending emails.
That’s the dillema I have. The emails are important, and I need to read them, but every time someone responds to an email, I get the entire email resent to my inbox. I’d like to only get a notification for the very first email, and mute all responses to any emails.

1. How do I filter out conversations in Gmail?

To filter out conversations in Gmail, click on the gear icon in the top right corner and select "Settings". Then, go to the "Filters and Blocked Addresses" tab and click on "Create a new filter". In the "Has the words" field, type "in:chats" and click on "Create filter". This will filter out any conversations in your inbox.

2. Can I filter out conversations from specific senders?

Yes, you can filter out conversations from specific senders in Gmail. Follow the same steps as above, but in the "From" field, type in the email address of the sender you want to filter out. This will only filter out conversations from that specific sender.

3. Will filtering out conversations delete them from my inbox?

No, filtering out conversations will not delete them from your inbox. It will simply move them to the "Chats" label, which you can access from the left sidebar. Your conversations will still be accessible and searchable.

4. Can I filter out conversations based on keywords?

Yes, you can filter out conversations based on keywords in Gmail. In the "Has the words" field, type in the keywords you want to filter out. You can also use the "Doesn't have" field to exclude certain keywords from your filter.

5. How do I edit or delete a conversation filter?

To edit or delete a conversation filter in Gmail, go to the "Filters and Blocked Addresses" tab in your settings. Find the filter you want to edit or delete and click on the corresponding options next to it. You can also click on the filter name to make any changes to the filter criteria.