Anyone know of a good QF doco?

• Thread starter thesecularist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for resources on quantum physics. The original poster requested sources that provide a more in-depth explanation of the subject, rather than just a brief overview. A suggestion was made to avoid the documentary "What the Bleep Do We Know?" due to its pseudoscientific approach. The conversation then shifted to discussing the best ways to learn about quantum physics, with suggestions including university courses, textbooks, and online lectures. The website davedubTV was also recommended for science documentaries and lectures.
thesecularist
Hello everyone.

Can anyone recommend a good documentary, lecture footage, video or online sources of any description, that explains areas of Quantum Physics to more than a brief description?

Just incase anyone was intending to put up the movie/doco "What the Bleep do we know?". Please do not! That is nothing but a pseudo-scientific attempt to give creditation to New Age garbage.

Physics news on Phys.org
What background in math and physics do you already have?

jtbell said:
What background in math and physics do you already have?

I guess, to answer your question, not studied Math or Physics at university. Umm, Math 1 & 2 at high school level. (Dont know if that means anything to you as I live in Australia). Highest math possible at school level (which I completed 7 years ago), so yeah I'm no math genius at all. Umm with Physics, I have never studied it at university, but for the last 8 years I've been researching of Physics subjects in my own time for my own interested, listening to online lectures, reading lots of physics articles, etc etc. I know QF has a lot to do with Math, however what I'd be after would be maybe a lesser 'Math' explanation, but more conceptual. (if that makes sense to you?).

I've kinda searched the net already and nothing much jumps up at me. Which is why I thought I'd post in here :-)

thesecularist said:
Hello everyone.

Can anyone recommend a good documentary, lecture footage, video or online sources of any description, that explains areas of Quantum Physics to more than a brief description?

Just incase anyone was intending to put up the movie/doco "What the Bleep do we know?". Please do not! That is nothing but a pseudo-scientific attempt to give creditation to New Age garbage.

I think if you want to learn the subject you should better stay away from TV documentaries. Usually, their goal is not to teach you, but to inspire awe and scare you with complexities and paradoxes. The best way of learning invented by mankind is a University course in quantum mechanics. The next best thing is a textbook. If you prefer to watch something on the screen, then check YouTube. I heard that UC Berkeley began to put on YouTube videos of their lecture courses: http://youtube.com/ucberkeley Perhaps, you can find lectures on quantum physics there. You can also find YouTube videos of brilliant Feynman's lectures on quantum mechanics and QED. Sorry, I don't have URLs for those.

Eugene.

"Quantum Physics made relatively simple" - Three lectures by Hans Bethe

Hans Bethe was a German-American physicist who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1967 for his work on the theory of stellar nucleosynthesis.

http://bethe.cornell.edu/

Quantam Physics Online Documentaries & Lectures

This forum is nice. Here's my 2-cents:

I found a good site for science lectures and docs at a site called 'davedubTV'. (?!)
--> davedub.net/tv

They have nice full-length documentaries & lectures, not just short clips - so I quite enjoy it.

Hope this helps!

1. What is a QF doco?

A QF doco refers to a documentary film that explores the subject of quantum physics. These films typically delve into the complex concepts and theories of quantum physics and often feature interviews with experts in the field.

2. How can a QF doco help me understand quantum physics?

QF docos can provide a more visual and engaging way to learn about quantum physics compared to reading textbooks. They often use animations and real-life examples to explain complex concepts in a more digestible manner.

3. Are there any recommended QF docos?

Yes, there are many highly acclaimed QF docos such as "Particle Fever," "The Quantum Activist," and "What the Bleep Do We Know?" It's always a good idea to read reviews and watch trailers before choosing a QF doco to ensure it aligns with your interests and level of understanding.

4. Can I watch a QF doco if I have no background knowledge in quantum physics?

Yes, many QF docos are designed for a general audience and do not require prior knowledge in quantum physics. However, it may be helpful to do some basic research or watch introductory videos beforehand to get familiar with key concepts.

5. Where can I find QF docos?

QF docos can be found on streaming platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. They can also be purchased or rented on online marketplaces like iTunes or Google Play Store. Additionally, some universities and libraries may have QF docos available for viewing.