1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone know some graduate program of NMR

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    Hi, everyone.
    I am a junior student major in physics, and after an internship in a NMR lab this summer, I am really interested in this field, and I decided to learn it in my graduate program. Does anyone know any program of nmr, cos I find out that most of these programs are set up by medical department not by the physics department.
    I really need some recommendations to apply in 2013 fall, and I am not a very ambitious person, so small size program is also fine.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2
    I presume that you've had to read or at least seriously skim through some journal articles in the course of your internship that are relevant to your work. Have you started to look up the authors of those papers, and of the papers that they cite, for some idea as to who the interesting researchers are in your field?

Having said that, you may want to also keep an eye out for materials/physical chemists who do NMR - I can think of a few who aren't structural bio/biophysics types without too much difficulty. Unless you *really* don't want to go slumming with the chemists.....

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3
    So you want to specialize in just NMR? I've heard of no program that will specialize you in just one experimental technique.

5. Jul 25, 2012 #4
    er...Thank you for your reply, maybe I did not put it clearly enough, the lab I worked in are doing some research like designing new type of NMR, or instrument designing, I find that is cool.

6. Jul 25, 2012 #5
    Thank your a lot, until now I haven't been in touch with biophysics or chemistry, I have no background of these. So do I have to take some related courses in my undergraduate education? And I will be a senior student in September, maybe it is kind of too late. The Sub GRE will cost me a lot of time to prepare in November.
    And I will check out the articles I've read.
    Thanks!

7. Jul 26, 2012 #6
    What NMR is it? Medical imaging or chemical analysis?

If it is the medical imaging modality, the closest thing you can find is some medical imaging program, that deals not only with NMR. You will not find any program just about NMR either way. Medical imaging is something that is on the boundary between many different branches of science. Where I study, there is a multidisciplinary research department of physicists, engineer, doctors, biomedical researchers ... with its offices inside the hospital. Therefore the program is also located in the medical faculty.

8. Jul 26, 2012 #7
    Thank you, first I have no medical or biology background in my undergraduate experience. And second i am a little worried that any programs related to medical subject are extremely crowded. I prefer to NMR imaging by the way, I had a image processing experience with one of my professor in fringe filter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook