Anyone know that the Olivia Newton-John was Max Born's granddaughter?

• Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary, Olivia Newton-John, the singer known for her role in "Grease," was born in Cambridge, England on September 26, 1948. Her mother was the daughter of Nobel Prize-winning physicist Max Born, who fled to England during Hitler's rise. Max was a colleague of Albert Einstein and they remained pen pals. Olivia's connection to Max Born was often mentioned when she sang "I Honestly Love You." She was known for spreading joy in her performances and philanthropic work. Her ancestry and ties to Max Born were recently discussed on a forum before her death.
swampwiz
  • Wow
Likes jtbell, Demystifier, Charles Link and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Likes pinball1970, Klystron and Bystander
No. Did not even know ONJ was of German or Ashkenaz descent though my daughter was her major fan. I should ask my elder sister, our family genealogy hobbyist, of any known ties to Max Born.

I used to know it, but forgot all about it. Now I remember it. I might forget it again in the future.

Likes Hamiltonian, Wrichik Basu, Vanadium 50 and 4 others
I knew that.

Max was for a time a colleague of Albert Einstein in the University of Berlin department of physics. They remained pen pals.

I guess this means Born was a ”Physical” scientist.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970, Hamiltonian, swampwiz and 1 other person
Born to be wild.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu and Hamiltonian
No, I didn't know that, wow.

I prefer the joy of life she spread rather than any prize

Likes pinball1970 and Charles Link
When she sings "if we both were Born..." ,(from "I Honestly Love You"), it always reminded me that she was descended from a "Born".

Likes pinball1970 and mcastillo356
Is that totally accurate or just a good approximation?

Likes dextercioby, BillTre and Charles Link
I came to know her because she was Born's granddaughter.

Likes Charles Link

1. Who is Olivia Newton-John?

Olivia Newton-John is an Australian singer, songwriter, and actress. She rose to fame in the 1970s with her hit songs "Let Me Be There" and "I Honestly Love You". She is also known for her role as Sandy in the movie musical "Grease".

2. Who is Max Born?

Max Born was a German physicist and mathematician who made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1954 for his work on the statistical interpretation of quantum mechanics.

3. How are Olivia Newton-John and Max Born related?

Olivia Newton-John is the granddaughter of Max Born. Her mother, Irene Helene Born, was Born's daughter.

4. Did Olivia Newton-John's relationship to Max Born influence her career?

No, there is no evidence that Olivia Newton-John's relationship to Max Born had any influence on her career. She pursued her own interests and talents in music and acting.

5. Are there any other notable scientists in Olivia Newton-John's family?

Yes, Olivia Newton-John's great-grandfather was Max Born's father, Gustav Born, who was also a renowned German physicist and professor. Additionally, her cousin, Max Born's grandson, is the American physicist and mathematician, Gordon Baym.