Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[AP News] Hundreds of dolphins wash up in Zanzibar

1. May 5, 2006 #1

Mk

They always say its the U.S. Navy's fault for sonar throwing them off course. I don't know much about the subject but I think that is a bunch of BS. Why couldn't have had happen, and why could that be the cause? I personally think it might have to do with rapid changes in water temperature and/or salinity, but again, I don't have any knowledge in this area.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...p/20060430/ap_on_sc/tanzania_dolphin_deaths_6

Someone probably has a geographical database of beaching. They still have no idea how the whale managed to get up the Thames?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they washed up dead rather than alive, I'd be more suspicious of an illness of some sort.

As far as sounds, sonar can throw them off, but so can the motors on motorboats. I saw a poster presenting results of a study on this a few years ago when visiting an aquarium affiliated with a marine research station.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?