1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Functional Analysis by Zeidler

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    "Applied Functional Analysis" by Zeidler

In my book, "Applied Functional Analysis" by Zeidler, there's a question in the first chapter which, unless I got my concept of density wrong, I can't seem to see true : Let X=C[a,b] be the space of continuous functions on [a,b] with maximum norm. Then the subset S of all functions (in X) with u(a)>0 is open, convex and dense in X.

Open and convex is trivial, but how is this subset dense in X? If we take f(x)=-1, which is in X and suppose that S is dense in X, then there exists a u in S s.t. max|u(x)-f(x)|<1/2, by def. of density. But 0 < 1 < 1+u(a) = u(a)-(-1) = u(a)-f(a) = |u(a)-f(a)| =< max|u(x)-f(x)|<1/2, which implies 1 < max|u(x)-f(x)| < 1/2, a contradiction.

What I don't understand? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Density

You understand perfectly well. That set is not dense. Perhaps it is just a typo in the text and they meant to write [itex]u(a)\neq 0[/itex].

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    Re: Density

Yeah, that's what I thought, but then the set is not convex...funny thing is, the next question is to show that the set with u(a)=1 is also open, convex and dense...which it is not. Oh well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook