Applying for PhD in physics by non-physicist

• Admissions
  • Thread starter janakiraman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Physics
In summary, the person is interested in pursuing a PhD in physics but has an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering and limited knowledge in basic physics courses. They are seeking advice on whether it is possible to apply for a PhD in US or Europe and how to prepare for it. Options such as taking an MSc in physics, doing an MSc in India, or applying for applied physics PhD programs are suggested. Factors like family, funding, and time should be considered when making a decision.
janakiraman
Hi all

Well I'm extremely interested in physics and I'm really interested in doing a PhD in physics. But my problem is i have an undergraduate degree in mechanical. And I'm currently doing my master's as well in mechanical in NUS, Singapore. However my supervisor for my master's thesis is from physics and i now currently work on theoretical condensed matter physics. Well as a matter of fact, i have just started learning physics as my undergraduate i never really learned anything owing to my horrible curriculum and examination methodologies.

I'm extremely interested in doing a PhD in physics but i don't know most of its basic courses like advanced classical physics, GRT, electromagnetism, quantum field theory etc. (I'm just learning quantum mechanics and solid state physics). What would you people suggest me? I aspire to apply PhD in US and europe and i would like to do theoretical work. Would it be possible. Would the universities accept me? How can i prepare myself from now on so that i can be able to cope up with my PhD. I plan to start my PhD from spring 2010 which means i have one more year to go.

I would be extremely happy if you people can help me out in this issue

Physics news on Phys.org
janakiraman said:
Hi all

Well I'm extremely interested in physics and I'm really interested in doing a PhD in physics. But my problem is i have an undergraduate degree in mechanical. And I'm currently doing my master's as well in mechanical in NUS, Singapore. However my supervisor for my master's thesis is from physics and i now currently work on theoretical condensed matter physics. Well as a matter of fact, i have just started learning physics as my undergraduate i never really learned anything owing to my horrible curriculum and examination methodologies.

I'm extremely interested in doing a PhD in physics but i don't know most of its basic courses like advanced classical physics, GRT, electromagnetism, quantum field theory etc. (I'm just learning quantum mechanics and solid state physics). What would you people suggest me? I aspire to apply PhD in US and europe and i would like to do theoretical work. Would it be possible. Would the universities accept me? How can i prepare myself from now on so that i can be able to cope up with my PhD. I plan to start my PhD from spring 2010 which means i have one more year to go.

I would be extremely happy if you people can help me out in this issue

Hi there, I can totally relate to your situation. I did my masters too at NUS in EE and I wanted to do PhD in physics too. life got in the way and i could not pursue it immediately but i hope i'd do in a couple of years. anyway, my 2 cents :

a) u can also consider doing an MSc in physics at NUS science fac, they have an 80-points programme where u can do some extensive coursework to make up ur deficiencies.
this cud also help u take the physics gre. however, this programme is on a self-financing basis.

b) u can try to do an MSc Physics in India, say in IISc or IIT, for which u have to sit for an entrance exam - JAM/JEST. the preparation for these itself would be a good starting point to learn the basic concepts.

c) if u have ruled out the above options, u can try the applied physics phd programmes in most univs, which don't require a physics gre and mostly they would admit you as long as you show the aptitude and motivation through something tangible like a publication or research experience etc. but most of these schools, as far as i know are the top tier ones like stanford etc. if u have an impressive gre score of say 1500+, impressive reco letters etc, u can give these a shot too. i dint do enough research on which other schools have such equivalent programmes.

while it's not impossible to do Phd in physics after mech.engg, do consider other factors like family, funding, time etc. based on ur priorities and the weights you give to your options, you can make a decision on which could be the optimal route to pursue.

goodluck!

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your interest in pursuing a PhD in physics. It is great to hear that you have a strong passion for the subject and have already started working in the field through your master's thesis.

Firstly, I would like to reassure you that it is not uncommon for individuals to pursue a PhD in a field that is different from their undergraduate degree. Many universities value diversity and interdisciplinary collaboration, so having a background in mechanical engineering may actually be beneficial in your PhD studies.

In terms of your lack of exposure to certain basic courses in physics, I would recommend taking some additional courses or self-studying in your free time to catch up. You can also reach out to your supervisor or other professors in the physics department for guidance on what specific courses would be helpful for your PhD studies.

As for your chances of being accepted into a PhD program in the US or Europe, it ultimately depends on the specific university and their admissions criteria. However, having a strong master's thesis and a supervisor from the physics department can definitely increase your chances.

In order to prepare yourself for a PhD in physics, I would suggest focusing on building a strong foundation in the basics of physics, as well as developing your research skills and critical thinking abilities. You can also try to attend conferences and workshops in your field to gain more exposure and network with other physicists.

Overall, I believe that with your passion and determination, you have a good chance of being accepted into a PhD program in physics. I wish you all the best in your academic journey and encourage you to continue pursuing your interests in physics.

1. What qualifications do I need to apply for a PhD in physics as a non-physicist?

The specific qualifications required for a PhD program in physics may vary depending on the institution and program. However, in general, most programs will require a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as mathematics, engineering, or another physical science. Some programs may also require the completion of prerequisite courses in physics, math, and other related subjects.

2. How can I demonstrate my interest and aptitude for physics if I do not have a background in the subject?

If you are a non-physicist applying for a PhD in physics, it is important to showcase your passion and aptitude for the subject. This can be done through relevant coursework, research experience, or other related experiences. You can also highlight your skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical abilities that are valuable in the field of physics.

3. Can I apply to a PhD program in physics if I do not have a strong background in math?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is typically required for a PhD in physics, some programs may offer additional coursework or resources to help students catch up in this area. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in and reach out to the admissions office for clarification.

4. Do I need to have research experience in physics to be considered for a PhD program?

While research experience in physics is not always a requirement for admission, it can greatly strengthen your application. If you do not have prior research experience in physics, you can still highlight any relevant research experience in other fields, as well as any skills or knowledge that may be transferable to the field of physics.

5. Are there any resources available to help non-physicists prepare for a PhD program in physics?

Yes, there are many resources available to help non-physicists prepare for a PhD program in physics. These may include online courses, textbooks, workshops, or even mentorship programs. It is also helpful to reach out to current physics graduate students or professors for advice and guidance.