1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying Gauss' Law to other situations

1. Nov 7, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this belongs in the math or physics section of this forum, but I figure since my question is more related to the mathematical manipulation of what I am dealing with, I figured I would ask it here and then if it has to be moved, it can be.

My question has to do with applying gauss' law to a differential equation I am dealing with. The differential equation is the partial derivative of some function of x,y,z,t with respect to t is equal to a constant times dell^2 of that function plus another constant times the same function. The case I am considering is when the time derivative is equal to zero. So I have:

D*dell^2(n) + C*n = 0

So I am thinking I am basically dealing with a divergence of the vector dell(n) (n is a scalar function). However, I'm not sure how to apply that logic to the C*n part. Can I just subtract it to the other side and take the triple volume integral? Or does the divergence theorem not apply? I think it does because I am basically dealing with a diffusion of particles out from a spherical surface. The only difference is there are particles being generated inside of the sphere as well. That's the C*n term.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you type in the equation using LaTex or the special symbols?

4. Nov 7, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

If you integrate your PDE over a volume, then you can indeed replace the [itex]\nabla^2 n[/itex] term by an integral of [itex]\nabla n[/itex] over the boundary surface, but the integrals of the other terms will remain as volume integrals.

Usually such conservation PDEs are obtained by looking at [itex]\frac{d}{dt} \int_V n\,dV[/itex] and then using the divergence theorem to replace the surface term expressing the flux of [itex]n[/itex] out of [itex]V[/itex] with a volume integral.

5. Nov 7, 2013 #4
    Sorry about that, I am typing from my smart phone, and I don't know how to use LaTex from this interface. Mainly because I'm not familiar with LaTex. If you know any good sources where I can learn it, I'd be willing to use it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook