Applying scientific methods to solve syrian war

In summary: Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...Actually it would be not much more challenging to...
hagopbul
i am asking is it possible to apply scientific methods to stop the syrian war , or it is just too much away from reality and real life

note : i am from syria and this question is not making me sleep at all ...

Physics news on Phys.org
You can certainly use scientific methods to evaluate advantages and disadvantages of decisions. And that gets done.
You cannot derive an equation that will stop the war, however.

mfb said:
You cannot derive an equation that will stop the war, however.

A long shot: if you had enough data about human reactions to things, about the people involved and a good enough model of the human brain (equations), then with enough computing power you could find out how the people and the country (and the whole world...) would react to certain actions and you could calculate what would stop the war. Although this means modeling the whole world with humans in it, which is not possible by a long shot, but requires an extremely long shot or an even longer shot.

hagopbul said:
i am asking is it possible to apply scientific methods to stop the syrian war , or it is just too much away from reality and real life

note : i am from syria and this question is not making me sleep at all ...
Divide by random Syrians into a few groups and test what works (keeping them under Asad regime, keep them under some international coalition rule, under Kurdish, under ISIS)?

In RL ideas of using hard science usually fail, because you have very limited number of observations and too complex subjects.

Czcibor said:
Divide by random Syrians into a few groups and test what works (keeping them under Asad regime, keep them under some international coalition rule, under Kurdish, under ISIS)?

In RL ideas of using hard science usually fail, because you have very limited number of observations and too complex subjects.

they are like we all see doing that , i think the main problem that we are trying to find a fixd system to work with ,
what if we we create a set of systems that changed with time ?

mfb said:
You can certainly use scientific methods to evaluate advantages and disadvantages of decisions. And that gets done.
Who is "you"? Assad? While most people will use at least some logic in their decision-making process, the logic applied isn't the primary issue: the starting premises are where the differences are and problem lies.

For example, if logic dictates that in war you use the most effective weapons available in order to end the war expeditiously, one might conclusde that using chemcial weapons is a good idea. So Assad uses them, whereas we won't, because it makes us feel bad about ourselves to use them. How illogical is that?! Sounds to me like Assad is being the more logical one here.

So is that what we really want?

For example, if logic dictates that in war you use the most effective weapons available in order to end the war expeditiously [...]
It does not, because you have to include all relevant effects of your actions (including international laws, votes, personal preferences, ...). And that means "we" won't use chemical weapons. How is that in disagreement with that I said?

mfb said:
It does not, because you have to include all relevant effects of your actions (including international laws, votes, personal preferences, ...). And that means "we" won't use chemical weapons. How is that in disagreement with that I said?
The scientific method is rational: personal preference doesn't have to be. As soon as you inject a non-factual premise into a line of logic, the scientific method is violated.

hagopbul said:
they are like we all see doing that , i think the main problem that we are trying to find a fixd system to work with ,
what if we we create a set of systems that changed with time ?
So we first let an area to be conquered by ISIS, and the working hypothesis is that whoever comes next would be treated as liberator by local population? ;)

russ_watters said:
The scientific method is rational: personal preference doesn't have to be. As soon as you inject a non-factual premise into a line of logic, the scientific method is violated.
[assuming that you're trying to model this war] Actually it would be not much more challenging to add to such model that chemical weapons is a taboo. You can assume that using it you loose a prohibitively high amount of reputation capital for a civilized country.

Clarification: I'm not saying that making a reasonable quality model is feasible, I'm just saying that if you had such, modelling such "irrationality" concerning chemical weapons would not be hard.

[Yes, economic departments breed psychopaths, why are you asking? :D ]

Czcibor said:
[assuming that you're trying to model this war] Actually it would be not much more challenging to add to such model that chemical weapons is a taboo. You can assume that using it you lose a prohibitively high amount of reputation capital for a civilized country.
Clearly, Assad disagrees with your assumption. Apparently, he doesn't value "reputation capital" as much as you do.

the only problem is the observations is limited ... what if we start some paralele change in the syrian society that will made the war is not a good idea or a silver bullet

russ_watters said:
Sounds to me like Assad is being the more logical one here.

It doesn't necessarily mean that, because not all things have been considered, for example whether you will make more enemies by using chemical weapons than you will kill using them.

We can use science to determine what will win the war, and another question is whether they will do what it takes. Both can be found out, we can study the irrationality of people and come up with conclusions. Needless to say we don't yet have enough of an understanding of human psychology and of human brains to do this kind of modeling.

russ_watters said:
Depends on the question you ask. You can apply the scientific method to find "What is the best set of actions if I want to get the best expectation value for the result, where 'best' is arbitrarily defined by my preferences".

The inputs to the model do not have to follow some deeper logic, but the evaluation of the actions to take can do that.

Likes Ryan_m_b and phinds

1. What are the steps involved in applying scientific methods to solve the Syrian war?

The steps involved in applying scientific methods to solve the Syrian war include:1. Identifying the problem and defining the research question: This involves understanding the root causes of the conflict and formulating a clear research question.2. Gathering data and information: This involves collecting data from various sources such as news articles, government reports, and interviews with experts and individuals affected by the war.3. Analyzing the data: This involves using statistical and analytical tools to examine the data and identify patterns or trends.4. Formulating a hypothesis: Based on the data and analysis, a hypothesis can be formulated to explain the causes of the war.5. Testing the hypothesis: This involves conducting experiments or simulations to test the hypothesis and determine its validity.6. Drawing conclusions and making recommendations: Based on the results of the tests, conclusions can be drawn and recommendations can be made for potential solutions to the Syrian war.

2. How can scientific methods help in understanding the complexities of the Syrian war?

Scientific methods can help in understanding the complexities of the Syrian war by providing a systematic and objective approach to analyzing the conflict. By gathering and analyzing data, scientists can identify underlying patterns and factors that contribute to the war. They can also use simulations and experiments to test different scenarios and understand how certain actions may impact the conflict. This can help in developing a better understanding of the complexities of the war and potential solutions.

3. What are some challenges in applying scientific methods to solve the Syrian war?

Some challenges in applying scientific methods to solve the Syrian war include:1. Limited access to data: Due to the ongoing conflict, it may be difficult to gather accurate and reliable data.2. Bias and subjectivity: Researchers may have their own biases and perspectives that can influence their analysis and conclusions.3. Ethical concerns: Conducting experiments or simulations in a war-torn country raises ethical concerns and may not be feasible.4. Complexities of the conflict: The Syrian war is a complex issue with various political, social, and economic factors at play, making it challenging to identify a single solution.

4. How can collaboration between scientists and policymakers help in solving the Syrian war?

Collaboration between scientists and policymakers can help in solving the Syrian war by bridging the gap between research and practical solutions. Scientists can provide policymakers with evidence-based recommendations and strategies based on their research, while policymakers can provide valuable insights and considerations for implementing these solutions in the real world. This collaboration can lead to more effective and sustainable solutions to the Syrian war.

5. What are some potential benefits of using scientific methods to solve the Syrian war?

Some potential benefits of using scientific methods to solve the Syrian war include:1. Objectivity: Scientific methods provide an objective and evidence-based approach to understanding and solving the conflict.2. Systematic approach: By following a systematic process, scientists can identify the root causes of the war and potential solutions in a structured manner.3. Data-driven solutions: Using data and analysis can lead to more informed and effective solutions.4. Collaboration: As mentioned, collaboration between scientists and policymakers can lead to more comprehensive and sustainable solutions.5. Reproducibility: The use of scientific methods allows for reproducibility of results, making it easier for others to test and validate the findings.