Applying the Chain Rule to Derive Solutions of the Heat Equation

In summary: Name)In summary, the author is trying to show that a solution to the heat equation in three dimensions, $u_k \equiv u(k^2 t, kx)$, is also a solution of the heat equation in two dimensions, $u_k \equiv u(k^2 t, k)$, for all x in a range of 0 to +∞.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Suppose that $u(t,x)$ is a solution of the heat equation $u_t-\Delta u=0$ in $(0,+\infty) \times \mathbb{R}^n$. I want to show that $u_k \equiv u(k^2 t, kx)$ is also a solution of the heat equation in $(0,+\infty) \times \mathbb{R}^n, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}^n$.

If we have a function $u(g,f)$ then the derivative in respect to $t$ is $\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{g}} \frac{dg}{dt}+\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{f}} \frac{df}{dt}$, right?But then we would get that $\frac{\partial{u_k}}{\partial{t}}=k^2 \frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{k^2 t}}$.

But does the derivative $\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{k^2 t}}$ make sense?

Or haven't I applied correctly the chain rule? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Suppose that $u(t,x)$ is a solution of the heat equation $u_t-\Delta u=0$ in $(0,+\infty) \times \mathbb{R}^n$. I want to show that $u_k \equiv u(k^2 t, kx)$ is also a solution of the heat equation in $(0,+\infty) \times \mathbb{R}^n, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}^n$.

If we have a function $u(g,f)$ then the derivative in respect to $t$ is $\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{g}} \frac{dg}{dt}+\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{f}} \frac{df}{dt}$, right?But then we would get that $\frac{\partial{u_k}}{\partial{t}}=k^2 \frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{k^2 t}}$.

But does the derivative $\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{k^2 t}}$ make sense?

Or haven't I applied correctly the chain rule? (Thinking)

Hey evinda! (Smile)

I'm afraid $t$ has 2 different meanings in this context, which is confusing.
Let's distinguish them by replacing one of them by $\tilde t$.
Oh, and $x$ is a vector in $\mathbb R^n$, so let's denote it by $\mathbf x$, and similarly denote $g$ by $\mathbf g$ to make sure we don't forget.
Also note that $u_{\mathbf x}(t,\mathbf x) = (u_{x_1}, u_{x_2}, ..., u_{x_n}) = \nabla u(t,\mathbf x)$. (Nerd)

So we have a function $u(f,\mathbf g)$ and we want the derivative with respect to $\tilde t$ of $u(f(\tilde t), \mathbf g(\tilde t))$.
Then we get:
$$
\d u{\tilde t}=\pd uf \d f{\tilde t} + \pd u{\mathbf g} \cdot \d {\mathbf g}{\tilde t}
= \pd {}f u(f({\tilde t}), {\mathbf g}({\tilde t})) \d {}{\tilde t} f({\tilde t})
+ \pd {}{\mathbf g} u(f({\tilde t}), {\mathbf g}({\tilde t})) \cdot \d {}{\tilde t} {\mathbf g}({\tilde t})
$$
In our case we have $u(t,\mathbf x)\equiv u(f,\mathbf g)$, so $f\equiv t$, and ${\mathbf g}\equiv {\mathbf x}$.
Substituting selectively (we can because there's no ambiguity in symbols any more), we get:
$$
\d u{\tilde t}= \pd {}t u(f({\tilde t}), {\mathbf g}({\tilde t})) \d {}{\tilde t} f({\tilde t})
+ \pd {}{\mathbf x}u(f({\tilde t}), {\mathbf g}({\tilde t})) \cdot \d {}{\tilde t} {\mathbf g}({\tilde t})
= u_t(f({\tilde t}),\mathbf g({\tilde t})) f_{\tilde t}(\tilde t) + u_{\mathbf x}(f({\tilde t}),\mathbf g({\tilde t})) \cdot \mathbf g_{\tilde t}(\tilde t)
$$
(Thinking)

I am a little confused now... (Sweating)

Don't we have in our case $f=k^2 t$ and $g=k \mathbf{x}$ ? Or am I wrong?

evinda said:
I am a little confused now... (Sweating)

Don't we have in our case $f=k^2 t$ and $g=k \mathbf{x}$ ? Or am I wrong?

Properly distinguishing, we have $t = f=k^2 \tilde t$ and $\mathbf x = \mathbf g=k \mathbf{\tilde x}$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Properly distinguishing, we have $t = f=k^2 \tilde t$ and $\mathbf x = \mathbf g=k \mathbf{\tilde x}$. (Thinking)

And why do we find the derivative in respect to $\overline{t}$ and not in respect to $t$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
And why do we find the derivative in respect to $\overline{t}$ and not in respect to $t$ ? (Thinking)

Because otherwise we're mixing up $t$ in $u(t,\mathbf x)$ and $\tilde t$ in $t=f(\tilde t)=k^2\tilde t$. :eek:

Since we introduced $t$ first as a parameter in $u(t,\mathbf x)$, I propose we don't introduce a new ambiguous $t$ that would have $t=f(t)$. (Worried)

I like Serena said:
So we have a function $u(f,\mathbf g)$ and we want the derivative with respect to $\tilde t$ of $u(f(\tilde t), \mathbf g(\tilde t))$.

In our case we have $u(t,\mathbf x)\equiv u(f,\mathbf g)$, so $f\equiv t$, and ${\mathbf g}\equiv {\mathbf x}$.

So we are given the function $u(t,\mathbf x)$. Don't we look for the derivate of a function of the form $u(\text{function of f =t}, \text{ function of } \mathbf{g}=\mathbf{x})$ ? (Sweating)

Could you explain it further to me?

evinda said:
So we are given the function $u(t,\mathbf x)$. Don't we look for the derivate of a function of the form $u(\text{function of f =t}, \text{ function of } \mathbf{g}=\mathbf{x})$ ? (Sweating)

Could you explain it further to me?

We have:
$$u_k(\tilde t, \mathbf{\tilde x}) = u(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x})$$
From the chain rule:
$$u_{k,\tilde t}(\tilde t, \mathbf{\tilde x}) = u_t(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x}) k^2\\
u_{k,\mathbf{\tilde x}}(\tilde t, \mathbf{\tilde x}) = u_{\mathbf x}(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x})k = \nabla u(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x})k \\
u_{k,\mathbf{\tilde x}\mathbf{\tilde x}}(\tilde t, \mathbf{\tilde x}) = u_{\mathbf {xx}}(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x})k^2 = \Delta u(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x})k^2
$$
So:
$$u_{k,\tilde t} - \Delta u_k = (u_{t} - \Delta u)k^2 = 0$$
Therefore $u_k$ is also a solution of the heat equation. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
We have:
$$u_k(\tilde t, \mathbf{\tilde x}) = u(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x})$$
From the chain rule:
$$u_{k,\tilde t}(\tilde t, \mathbf{\tilde x}) = u_t(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x}) k^2$$

Ah I see... (Smile)

I like Serena said:
$$u_{k,\mathbf{\tilde x}}(\tilde t, \mathbf{\tilde x}) = u_{\mathbf x}(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x})k = \nabla u(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x})k \\
u_{k,\mathbf{\tilde x}\mathbf{\tilde x}}(\tilde t, \mathbf{\tilde x}) = u_{\mathbf {xx}}(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x})k^2 = \Delta u(k^2 \tilde t, k\mathbf {\tilde x})k^2
$$

How do we calculate $u_{k,\mathbf{\tilde x}}(\tilde t, \mathbf{\tilde x})$ given that $\mathbf{\tilde x}$ is a vector? (Thinking)

evinda said:
How do we calculate $u_{k,\mathbf{\tilde x}}(\tilde t, \mathbf{\tilde x})$ given that $\mathbf{\tilde x}$ is a vector? (Thinking)

Generally, we have:
$$
u_{\mathbf x} = \nabla u = (u_{x_1}, u_{x_2}, ..., u_{x_n})
$$
So we should evaluate the derivative component for component. (Nerd)

In our case the derivative with respect to the first component is:
$$ \pd {u_k}{\tilde x_1} = u_{k,\tilde x_1}(\tilde t, \tilde x_1, ..., \tilde x_n)
= \pd {}{\tilde x_1}u(k^2\tilde t, k\tilde x_1, ..., k\tilde x_n) = u_{x_1}(k^2\tilde t, k\tilde x_1, ..., k\tilde x_n)\pd{}{\tilde x_1}(k\tilde x_1)
$$
(Thinking)

A ok. And so
$$\frac{\partial^2{u_k}}{\partial{\tilde{x_1}}^2}=k \frac{\partial}{\partial{\tilde{x_1}}} (u_{x_1}(k^2 \tilde{t}, k \overline{x_1}, \dots, k \overline{x_n}))=k (u_{x_1 x_1})(k^2 \tilde{t}, k \overline{x_1}, \dots, k \overline{x_n}))=k^2 (u_{x_1 x_1})(k^2 \tilde{t}, k \overline{x_1}, \dots, k \overline{x_n}))$$

And thus $\Delta u_k=\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{\partial^2 u_k}{\partial{\tilde{x_i}^2}}=k^2 [u_{x_1 x_1} (k^2 \tilde{t}, k \mathbf{x})+ \dots+ u_{x_n x_n}(k^2 \tilde{t}, k \tilde{x})]=k^2 \Delta u (k^2 \tilde{t}, k \tilde{x})$Right? (Thinking)

Yes (Smile)
... if overline is the same as tilde, if we add a missing factor $k$ the third expression, and if we balance the parentheses. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Yes (Smile)
... if overline is the same as tilde, if we add a missing factor $k$ the third expression, and if we balance the parentheses. (Nerd)

Yes, I see... Thanks a lot! (Smile)

1. What is the chain rule and how is it used in mathematics?

The chain rule is a formula used in calculus to find the derivative of composite functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. Can you provide an example of how the chain rule is applied?

For example, if we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 1)^3, we can use the chain rule to find its derivative. First, we identify the outer function as (x^2 + 1)^3 and the inner function as x^2 + 1. Then, we find the derivatives of each function: f'(x) = 3(x^2 + 1)^2 * 2x. Using the chain rule, we multiply the derivative of the outer function by the derivative of the inner function to get the final result: f'(x) = 6x(x^2 + 1)^2.

3. What are some real-world applications of the chain rule?

The chain rule has many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It is used to calculate rates of change in complex systems, such as in fluid dynamics and electrical circuits. It is also used in optimization problems, such as maximizing profit or minimizing cost in business and economics.

4. Is there a limit to how many functions can be composed using the chain rule?

No, there is no limit to the number of functions that can be composed using the chain rule. As long as each function can be differentiated, the chain rule can be applied.

5. What are the common mistakes students make when using the chain rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the chain rule when differentiating a composite function. Another mistake is incorrectly identifying the inner and outer functions, which can lead to incorrect results. It is important to carefully analyze the given function and correctly apply the chain rule to avoid these mistakes.