Applying with high percentile/low scores

• Admissions
  • Thread starter Krushnaraj Pandya
  • Start date
In summary: Memorial is way better than anything I would get with JEE. I wanted to have a career in AI so comp. sci./comp. engineering. Although I haven't quite decided which one yet.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
Good day everyone, I'm an Indian student about to complete high school and I've applied for computer engineering in Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada. My class 10th GPA is 9.6 and I am expecting at least 85% in class 12th boards. This year the JEE (Indian SATs for engineering) was also early and I have a percentile of 96.7% in it along with a lot of extracurricular achievements as well. These are standard All-India results that the school has no control over.

The trouble is my school has refused to give an expected marksheet because they think its against the rules of Indian education boards-and are overall hesitant to make any official statements or claims. I asked them to at least have a percentile column so I don't come off as a weak student but they said they have no such records. The papers in my school are really tough, and especially so for computer science- last year's average score was 28/100- how do I explain my low scores and to whom? apart from the standard national results all other marks are from the school itself and most of them aren't numerically appealing. I'd appreciate some advice- thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention- the school is willing to write me any number of recommendation letters I need from whoever I need.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Good day everyone, I'm an Indian student about to complete high school and I've applied for computer engineering in Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada. My class 10th GPA is 9.6 and I am expecting at least 85% in class 12th boards. This year the JEE (Indian SATs for engineering) was also early and I have a percentile of 96.7% in it along with a lot of extracurricular achievements as well. These are standard All-India results that the school has no control over.

The trouble is my school has refused to give an expected marksheet because they think its against the rules of Indian education boards-and are overall hesitant to make any official statements or claims. I asked them to at least have a percentile column so I don't come off as a weak student but they said they have no such records. The papers in my school are really tough, and especially so for computer science- last year's average score was 28/100- how do I explain my low scores and to whom? apart from the standard national results all other marks are from the school itself and most of them aren't numerically appealing. I'd appreciate some advice- thank you.
Dude you'll easily get in, but I ned an idea as to where exactly do you want to apply ? Cos as far as uni's are concerned (excl. engineering institutes) the best ones open (or stay open) after the results come out.

TachyonLord said:
Dude you'll easily get in, but I ned an idea as to where exactly do you want to apply ? Cos as far as uni's are concerned (excl. engineering institutes) the best ones open (or stay open) after the results come out.
applying to Memorial University, Newfoundland Canada. Thanks for the reply.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
applying to Memorial University, Newfoundland Canada. Thanks for the reply.
Ohh abroad I see. You sure your parents fine with it right ? (Speaking from experience) And for what course btw ?

TachyonLord said:
Ohh abroad I see. You sure your parents fine with it right ? (Speaking from experience) And for what course btw ?
yeah, they're totally onboard, Memorial is way better than anything I would get with JEE. I wanted to have a career in AI so comp. sci./comp. engineering. Although I haven't quite decided which one yet.

1. What does it mean to have high percentile/low scores when applying for a scientific position?

Having high percentile/low scores means that your percentile rank is high compared to other applicants, but your actual scores may be lower than the average. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as a difficult test or a competitive applicant pool.

2. Will having high percentile/low scores hurt my chances of getting accepted into a scientific program?

It depends on the specific program and their admissions criteria. Some programs may place more weight on percentile rank, while others may focus more on actual scores. It is important to research the program and their admissions process to understand how your scores may impact your chances.

3. Can I still get into a top scientific program with high percentile/low scores?

Yes, it is possible to get into a top scientific program with high percentile/low scores. While your scores may not be as high as others, your percentile rank can demonstrate your relative performance compared to other applicants. Additionally, other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements can also play a role in the admissions decision.

4. Should I retake the test if I have high percentile/low scores?

It depends on your goals and the specific program you are applying to. If your scores are significantly lower than the average for the program, it may be beneficial to retake the test to try and improve your scores. However, if your percentile rank is high and your scores are within the range of the program's average, it may not be necessary to retake the test.

5. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted with high percentile/low scores?

Aside from retaking the test, there are other ways to improve your chances of getting accepted with high percentile/low scores. You can focus on strengthening other aspects of your application, such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. Additionally, you can also reach out to the program directly to ask about their admissions process and if there are any specific areas they look at in addition to test scores.