Approximating sums of even cosine powers with fractional exponents

  • Thread starter Thread starter icystrike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
icystrike
Messages
444
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Show that [tex]cos^{2}(\theta)+cos^{4}(\theta)+cos^{6}(\theta)+cos^{8}(\theta)\approx 4cos^{4.3128}(\theta) , \mid\theta\mid\leq\pi/2[/tex]

and

[tex]cos^{2}(\theta)+cos^{4}+...+cos^{30}(\theta)\approx 15cos^{11.38211}(\theta) , \mid\theta\mid\leq\pi/2[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Any method?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org


Well, I don't see how to prove it. Can you give us the context where this problem came from? Where did you find it?
 


1/(1-x) = 1+x+x^2+...

Isn't there a similar formula if the series terminates?
 


LCKurtz: I've actually came up with this question myself cos i saw this relationship for any sum of even power cosine while doing a problem ...

Berko: What do u exactly mean? Please enlighten me :)
 


Berko said:
1/(1-x) = 1+x+x^2+...

Isn't there a similar formula if the series terminates?

Sure, the problem is a geometric series. And

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^4 \cos^{2k}(\theta) = \frac{\cos^2(\theta)-\cos^{10}(\theta)}{1-\cos^2(\theta)}[/tex]

How does that help?
 


Yes! I do recognise that this is a geometric series but nevertheless this cannot lead us to further simplification...
 


hmm yah I simplified somewhat but not sure where those exponents come from.