Are Ads Causing Website Loading Issues?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the issue of certain ads causing problems with webpage loading, specifically the Puritan Vitamin ad. The person has to refresh the page multiple times to get a suitable heading and suspects it may be due to their firewall. They mention that this issue also occurs on a different website, gocomics.com. Another person suggests that it could be a problem with Internet Explorer or a better experience on Safari. The issue is reported to the ad support team and the problem is not encountered again during a 20-minute period.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
For example, when I visit any page it is a crapshot whether it loads completely or not.

It seems to depend on what I get in the 'ad' header section. Most ads are fine, the Puritan Vitamin one is not okay. I just get the ad head, and IE says, "done". I have to punchctrl-R until I get a suitable heading. This is not painful for me.

Yes, I do know that supporting PF will get rid of the ads, but if this occurs to new users they are not going to stay very long.

I would assume this is an artifact of the firewall I am behind, except that there are only 2 sites that do this, PF and gocomics.com. (Hmm. Is there a deeper meaning here?) The 20+ others that I use regularly never have a problem.

Thanks for looking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Odd. IE has had some criticism, maybe it's a problem on its side? I don't think I've encountered this problem, so either Safari's better at loading webpages or I haven't encountered this ad. This is just a wild guess, though.

Thanks for notifying us. I'll email it to the ad support team and ban the ad.

Been on the site today for about 20 minutes. No loading problems. Thanks for your help.

1. Why are some websites slow to load even with an ad blocker?

Some websites may be slow to load because they rely heavily on advertisements for revenue. When an ad blocker is used, these ads are not loaded, which can affect the loading speed of the website.

2. Can ad blockers cause certain website features to not work properly?

Yes, ad blockers can sometimes block more than just ads. They can also block scripts and cookies that are necessary for certain website features to work properly. As a result, some features may not function as intended when an ad blocker is in use.

3. Are there any downsides to using ad blockers?

One potential downside of using ad blockers is that websites that rely on ads for revenue may be negatively impacted. Additionally, some ad blockers may collect user data and sell it to third parties, which can be a privacy concern for some individuals.

4. Can ad blockers prevent viruses and malware from infecting my computer?

While ad blockers can block some malicious ads, they are not foolproof in preventing viruses and malware from infecting your computer. It is still important to have proper antivirus software and to exercise caution when browsing the internet.

5. Can I whitelist certain websites on my ad blocker?

Yes, most ad blockers have the option to whitelist certain websites. This means that the ad blocker will not block ads on those specific websites, allowing you to support them and their revenue streams while still using the ad blocker on other websites.