Are anthracene powder solutions used in nuclear scintillation detectors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter markoX
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
markoX
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Hi,
what is anthracene powder's solutions for detecting beta or gamma rays in nuclear scintillation detectors?
I have read that alcohol is one of them.is it right?
thanks
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
What are you asking? Are you asking about a scintillation coctail's composition... one that specifically includes anthracene?

As I recall, alcohols can cause chemiluminescence. Not a good thing.
 
In beta liquid scintillator detectors people use the anthracene solution which consist of anthracene powder and it's solvent.I asked about the solvent.What material is it?
By using this solution and some electronic devices it will be possible to detect low energy beta particles.
I will be thankful if anyone can help me.
 
Yes,you'r right.Toluene is that solvent which I need but I do not know what is anthracene concentration range in the cocktail (with toluene as solvent).Some books reffer me to R.P.Bell 1948 "The use of anthracene as a scintillation counter " article but it's not free in internet.
any one can help me?