Are Black Holes sufficiently characterized?

• Thread starter cph
  • Start date
cph
Is mass, angular momentum, and charge sufficient for black hole characterization? Or is also entropy, and hence surface area, also required? Thus is the shape for a given mass black hole also a required consideration?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
From all the reading I've done, I gather that the mass and spin are the properties that matter. I haven't read of charge being much of an issue in real BHs and size seems to be mentioned only as the diameter of the event horizon.

Nabeshin
Science Advisor
This is precisely the statement of the no-hair theorem, that mass, angular momentum, and charge are the only three numbers necessary to describe a BH. The quantities you mention, entropy and surface area, are derived from the above three.

From all the reading I've done, I gather that the mass and spin are the properties that matter.
For real, astrophysical black-holes -- the charge can be assumed to be zero, as a black-hole will be formed from (ridiculously close to) equal numbers of protons and electrons. But all three parameters are actually needed for a complete description, as Nabeshin said---according to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_hair_theorem" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: