1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Are inflatons the same as fewer gravitons?

1. Dec 12, 2016 #1
    I'm not very conversant in the subject. But it is my impression that the acceleration of the expansion of the observable universe has generated a theory that there might be a new particle (field?) call the inflaton. On the other hand, I thought I'd heard that scientists were trying to find evidence of gravity leaking off into an heretofore unobserved part of the universe. Wouldn't gravity leaking off have the same effect as inflatons (that is to say accelerate the expansion)? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No. Inflation in the very early universe and accelerated expansion in the last few billions of years are different things. They might have some deeper, unknown connection, but they are still at completely different scales.
    Extra dimensions, maybe, if they are exist. That is very speculative.
    No.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted